Resume using same TimeMachine database after restoring to new machine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Argelius, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Argelius macrumors 6502

Jun 16, 2005
    I just got a new MacBook Pro and during the setup I connected it via Firewire to my old Mac, transferring all my files, settings, applications, etc.

I was hoping to continue using the same TM backup, but it wont let me continue with the previous backup. When I attempt a backup, it says there isn't enough space on the external drive, which would seem to indicate it's not "seeing" the old backup and is trying to start a new one.

On my external back up drive I see two names listed there -- one corresponding to my old Mac ("MacBookPro") and the other, evidently, to my new Mac ("MacBookPro 2").

I can't find where my new computer is named "MacBookPro 2" -- figure if I make sure it's the same name as the previous Mac, it will do the backup okay.

(BTW both Macs were running Leopard).

2. Pees330 macrumors 6502

May 26, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    The same thing happened to me when I upgraded to my new MBP. It created another sub folder in my backups folder on my external hdd. I'm not sure if there is a way to use the same backup, but I just ended up deleting the old one and starting over from scratch.
  3. kolax macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2007
    If you go to System Preferences --> Sharing you can change the computer name there.

I just started again with Time Machine when I reinstalled OS X. It is possible to continue off with a previous backup I think, but I didn't manage to get it working.