Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fimeg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Is it at all possible to bring back the shutdown dialog box?

I thought the command:
sudo pmset powerbutton 0
would do it, but it hasn't worked for me. Anyone else find a way to restore the preference?

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Is it at all possible to bring back the shutdown dialog box?

I thought the command:
sudo pmset powerbutton 0
would do it, but it hasn't worked for me. Anyone else find a way to restore the preference?

Just hold down the power button for 3 seconds.

Fimeg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
I do know about that, however, that doesn't really answer the real issue, i.e., that I want the one tap dialog box. If there is no solution to bring back the older functionality then I'll settle for holding it down.

WiLLGT09

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
Glad I found this thread, I thought there was something wrong with my MBA after upgrading to Mavericks; like a setting for the power button got reset. I am with you, I wish there was a one-press option to bring up the dialog box. Anybody want to do some digging to see if there's a "defaults write" to change this behavior?

Modano

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
New Orleans
So, it turns out that there's an easy but annoyingly not obvious solution. If you quickly press the power button, your laptop sleeps. If you hold down the power button for about 1 second, it brings up the good old dialog box. It's actually a pretty good middle ground once you get used to it. Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.