Resurrecting the "Cube"

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by davisjw, Dec 10, 2007.

1. davisjw macrumors regular

davisjw

Hello,

I was surfing around the internet as everyone does and came across the lost Mac Cube. I remember wanting one years ago in my younger years (makes it sound like they came out during the beige era) because of the slot loading and "sweet" design but couldn't afford it. Now that they're $100 on eBay, the money is there.

However.. Can anyone think of any use for one? I never had one so not sure on the pros and cons and I already have an iBook that's 3x as fast as the 500MHZ addition so there's really no need to have one, it's just one of those Macs I want to have around (we all have one).

So basically is there any way to upgrade these forgotten gems to a more respectable configuration/ is there any practical use for one or is sadly the Cube bound to be forgotten or gather dust on my bookshelf?

Thanks for your time and any comments!

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Book ends?

I would move on from wanting a Cube. Yeah they're neat, but pretty useless IMO. Maybe as a Music server or something perhaps? I dunno.

3. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I think that the fastest a Cube can reach is a dual 1.8 GHz G4 with a Radeon 9800 Pro, but that would require a good deal of money and some modding. If you're going to get a stock (450 or 500 G4) Cube, make sure you get at least the GeForce 2 MX. I admit that I use my Cube rarely, but I was surprised how much snappier it felt after swapping out the old Rage 128 Pro with the GeForce 2, and it was powerful enough to watch 480p DIVX movies without dropping frames on my 20" ACD.

Actually, having a Cube hooked up to a TV isn't a terrible idea (you'd need to buy a video card with S-Video out though); it runs silently, it can handle 480p, and it is much prettier than an AppleTV.

4. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

I love my G4 Cube. Its silent so i keep it on 24/7 and use it for downloads such as torrents. I keep it in my bedroom and even at night I can't even hear it running. Ahh, such is the beauty of a fanless computer.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

My Cube has an upgraded video card and a 1.7 Ghz CPU, and functions perfectly well as my every-day Mac. So, yes, it is kind of useless. ;)

If you buy a Cube, I'd make sure it comes with the original USB speakers.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

My 1.2GHz Cube also continues to function as a back-up machine and runs my scanner and A2 printer for which there are no satisfactory Intel drivers.

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I just got a Cube... $150 for a Cube + 15" ACD

8. davisjw thread starter macrumors regular

davisjw

Hey thanks for the information!

Are the CPUs you all are using extracted from say a Mini or are they after market up-grades and where could I find one?

May pick up one for the "every day" work and use a mini or tower for Adobe work (haven't got enough to get the big boys.. yet)

Thanks again all for your help!

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

10. davisjw thread starter macrumors regular

davisjw

11. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Check out http://www.123macmini.com/macminicube/

This was covered on TUAW a while back I think - taking the chassis from a Cube and using it to house a Mini instead. One of those kinda crazy things people with too much time do, but it was kind of cool in the end.

12. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I would love a Mac mini cube... If only I had the cash to throw around.

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

wow, that's really great. I'm quite impressed.