Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ooartist

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2002
Spring Hill, TN
My system:

Upgraded Quicksilver 800 G4 2002

PowerLogix 1.2Ghz G4
768 MB CL2 RAM (Crucial)
Retail ATI 9000 PRO 64MB
Western Digital 120 GB JB drive
40GB Drive that came with it.
CDRW that came with it.
Airport Card

Here is the problem. Since 10.2.6
it seems the video card has been getting
very hot and I have been getting ramdom
lockups. I figured the stock heatsink was
not enough to keep it cool so I bought a
new heatsink/fan and installed it. Everything
boots up fine and looks great! The only thing is Apple System Profiler now reads
that the card has only 32MB of video memory. This is very strange. It does seem that since I installed the new heatsink/fan that games seems slower.

Does anyone out there have a retail ATI 9000 Pro? If so, what does Apple System Profiler show for it's amount of memory?

Please Help me out!

ooartist

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
There's only one reason I can think of:

The Radeon 9000 doesn't come with a cooling fan, but with a heatsink attached to it. Maybe due to the upgrade 1.2 Ghz G4-card your Mac is becoming too hot.

I too own a Radeon 9000 Pro RETAIL in my Dual 1.25 (yes, really a retail version, because of a swap I had done to help a friend...), and it's doing fine in OS X 10.2.6. But my Dual is cooled by the notorious fans.
Maybe your upgrading to 10.2.6 was just happening at the same time as that the Radeon got too hot...?
Possibly part of the VRAM is "broken, melted (?)", and somehow only 32 MB is left in working order..... <what else could it be?>
Here you'll see my 64 MB VRAM count:

Attachments

• radon_9000.jpg
    radon_9000.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 422
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.