Retail discount on iMac, MBPs and Mac MINI

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MilksBrilliant, Apr 23, 2012.

1. MilksBrilliant macrumors newbie

My apologies if this has been asked previously, however on a visit to my local electronics store here in Japan, the retailer was offering discounts of 10,000 to 30,000 yen ($250 ~ $370) off new iMac's, MBP's and the Mac MINI.

I don't recollect any retail store offering such discounts to a wide range of Apple products previously, and so am presuming this is to clear all the old stock in time for a refresh.

In short, my '07 iMac bit the dust last month, presumably to a faulty HD fan, and I'm biding my time with a 10.1" Dell Notebook. Happy to wait for the new one, however with such discounts on offer, I must say I'm tempted.

My thanks in advance

2. All Taken macrumors 6502a

Perhaps refurbished?

3. MilksBrilliant thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

If possible, I'd wait for the new 2012 models to be announced. Should be soon.... Then, compare current 2011 with 2012 design / features. Perhaps the new 2012 has features you like (re: USB 3.0, better CPU, etc.)??? Or, perhaps the new 2012 features will only be "nice to have" features (for your computing needs). Regardless... I'd wait, compare, then decide to buy 2011 design or newer 2012 design....

5. flatfoot macrumors 65816

I'd say go for the discounted models. The speed bump of the new models won't be that big.

If you buy one now and the new ones turn out to offer something you really want to have, you might even make profit (or at least come out even) selling your then nearly new Mac to get a 2012 model.

6. MilksBrilliant thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm prepared to wait a couple more weeks I think. Unfortunately, I seem to have bad timing purchasing apple products. Needless to say I was most annoyed first time round after buying my first iMac in the summer of '07, only to see the new updated aluminium version come boxed with Leopard about a month later.

As the discounts are for a limited time only, my initial thought was 'new stock'. The salesman said it would be on to the end of the month, but not long much after.

Seeing as my old iMac may not be compatible with Mountain Lion, if it decides to come out of hibernation, I'll watch the forums and rumour mill before committing in the hope that my new purchase will last me just as long without the need to update much hardware.