Retail Roundup: Apple to Release 'Concierge' iPhone Application? Nashua, NH Store Opening?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors has heard from several sources that Apple is preparing to launch a "Concierge" iPhone application targeted at customers of its retail stores. The application will reportedly provide many of the same functions available through the company's retail store online reservations system, allowing customers to schedule Genius Bar and One to One appointments from their mobile devices. Sources have also indicated that the application will allow users to keep tabs on their premium membership subscriptions offered by the company.

There is no word yet on when the application, which will presumably be free to download, is expected to appear in the App Store.

On a separate note, MacRumors has also heard that Apple will be opening a new retail store this weekend in the Pheasant Lane Mall in Nashua, New Hampshire, the company's second location in the state. Like the existing Salem, NH store, the Nashua store is located only a short drive from the Boston metropolitan area and is expected to draw heavily from cross-border shoppers looking to take advantage of New Hampshire's lack of state sales taxes.

Article Link: Retail Roundup: Apple to Release 'Concierge' iPhone Application? Nashua, NH Store Opening?

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
OK, so how's that going to work? Are 50 million people going to launch the app and set up a "fake" appointment with a genius just to see how that app works? I feel bad for the geniuses at the Apple Store for the next few weeks.

Or maybe the app only works on their wif-fi while you're in the store. And if that is the case, what's the point? You're there already.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
A web based system would be easier in my opinion.

And, wow! I am going to be in Nashua this christmas! Now I can get tax free apple gear!

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Excellent :(

Now I'll be an hour away from THREE Apple Stores now. Grrrrrrr.

Salem: Hour away
Maine: Hour away
Nashua: Hour away

Awesome :rolleyes:

The Samurai

macrumors 68010
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
I think the app would benefit those stores where computers are hard to get hold of due to customers hogging them.

More so, this app will go perfectly with the iPod Touch's which retail staff are going to be given soon.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
OK, so how's that going to work? ....
Or maybe the app only works on their wif-fi while you're in the store. And if that is the case, what's the point? You're there already.
The point would be to not only make the iPhone/iPod touch more integrated into your experience at an Apple store, but to keep from having to use employee time to set up appointments, etc- especially during busy months!

Yeah- Nashua is only 1 hour away...Salem and Boston 2 hours- cuts my time in half!!!!!!

akadmon - As far as timing- it says this weekend in the original article!!

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
Just what I need, another Apple store that is exactly the same distance as Salem, NH. (1 Hour Away)

Edit: Take that back. Nashua is 6 minutes closer! WooHoo.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Excellent :(

Now I'll be an hour away from THREE Apple Stores now. Grrrrrrr.

Salem: Hour away (TAX FREE)
Maine: Hour away (5% sales tax) :(
Nashua: Hour away (TAX FREE)

Awesome :rolleyes:

There.....I narrowed it down for you! :D

-Kevin

doubleusn

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
Nice...

No more having to drive (45+min) to Rockingham, that mall is a nightmare.

PLM = 25min...tops :)

pcjr

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2006
Cross state purchase would have to be enormous to save on taxes to offset the cost of gas. The Apple Store in Boston is walking distance from where I live. :)

OS X Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
UK
They'd be better doing an Apple Store app, that basically reformats the content of the Store website to better fit the iPhone/iPod Touch's screen - like Amazon did.

If they wanted to, Genius Bar appointments could be added into this same app as well. All :apple: needs under one app-shaped roof.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Cross state purchase would have to be enormous to save on taxes to offset the cost of gas. The Apple Store in Boston is walking distance from where I live. :)
Unless you drive a Hummer (who in their right mind would!), buying anything over $200 would save you money. $90 if you drive a Prius (who in their right mind would!) :)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Seems like Apple is contributing to iPhone app clutter. Is there really a need for a one trick pony like this? The iPhone already has Safari. Easy enough for Apple to route users trying to make a reservation to a mobile page when trying to make a reservation -- if they make a reservation that way. I don't get the need for redundancy in App form.

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
But all MA residents and businesses know that making a large purchase in NH requires them to pay the state sales tax in MA on that purchase. MA has been trying to force companies in Nashua to collect those taxes from South-of-the-Border residents for some time. MA residents better rethink providing your names and addresses when shopping there.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
But all MA residents and businesses know that making a large purchase in NH requires them to pay the state sales tax in MA on that purchase. MA has been trying to force companies in Nashua to collect those taxes from South-of-the-Border residents for some time. MA residents better rethink providing your names and addresses when shopping there.
Kinda hard not to do that when you pay with a credit card. Oh well, if mass.gov wants to play that game with me, I'll just wear dark glasses + a false mustache (on top of my real one) while I pay with cash :)

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
what are you always doing at the apple store.. really, i don't get it.. if you own a mac you may go there if it's broken.. if you don't own a mac, you go there to play with some macs.. you guys make it sound as if you go there several times a week.. but what for ?! :rolleyes:

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Like the existing Salem, NH store, the Nashua store is located only a short drive from the Boston metropolitan area and is expected to draw heavily from cross-border shoppers looking to take advantage of New Hampshire's lack of state sales taxes.

Heh. I grew up in NH, and that was the entire purpose of building the Pheasant Lane Mall. IIRC, the building is so close to the Mass. boarder that parts of it are actually in Massachusetts. The Pheasant Lane was billed as a classier alternative to the Nashua Mall (which was already looking, and for some reason, smelling, horrible in the mid-1980s). Would be fun to have an Apple store there for when I go visit.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
They have to prove you will be using the item in MA as well. If you are buying a present for someone that doesn't live in MA then they can stick their tax increase where the sun don't shine.

urtho

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2008
Like the existing Salem, NH store, the Nashua store is located only a short drive from the Boston metropolitan area and is expected to draw heavily from cross-border shoppers looking to take advantage of New Hampshire's lack of state sales taxes.

Heh. I grew up in NH, and that was the entire purpose of building the Pheasant Lane Mall. IIRC, the building is so close to the Mass. boarder that parts of it are actually in Massachusetts. The Pheasant Lane was billed as a classier alternative to the Nashua Mall (which was already looking, and for some reason, smelling, horrible in the mid-1980s). Would be fun to have an Apple store there for when I go visit.
I live in Hudson, so Nashua is real close for me, like during Christmas rush I think it takes me 25min to get to the PLM. The building itself is not in MA at all, however a good portion of the parking lots are, I think that even a bit of sidewalk may be as well, but not all the way up to the building.

I thought I was going to have to wait till like March for this store to open, glad it is opening so soon, now if I have to bring anything in for service it is a 5-10 min drive rather than an almost 25min drive most days.

The reason the Nashua Mall, which is now a plaza, smelled so bad was that the Nashua River was super polluted in the 80's, purring most of the 90's they cleaned it and the Merrimack out. People used to just throw old cars in neutral and push them over the edge into both rivers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.