Retail Store BTO Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by StupidChris19, Jul 29, 2010.

1. StupidChris19 macrumors newbie

Hi, everyone.

I've used the Apple online store many times but because retail stores are still not very common here in Melbourne, Aus I've never bought a Mac from one before. I'm going to buy a new 27" iMac and would like to be able to buy it from a Retail store (because I work shifts so delivery is always difficult to arrange) but I'm keen to buy a built to order iMac with the upgraded processor and possibly 2TB hard drive as well.

I'm just wondering if Apple retail stores - specifically Chadstone - sell non-standard Mac configurations, and if so, to what extent? Do they stock iMacs with some upgrades but not others? Or do they only sell the base configs the same as other retailers?

Also, I plan on applying for Apple financing - can I do this in-store? And would it be approved on the same day?

Can I only get what I want by applying and purchasing online? Because buying it at the retail store would be oh-so-much more convenient for me!

Thanks for you help!
    Chris.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Give them a call. They usually don't have other than stock models in stock but they can order you the dream iMac of yours.

3. trombonerman macrumors newbie

Apple retail stores are able to upgrade memory, but not hard drives or processors, so you're stuck with the stock processor and 1 TB HDD. You could always grab an external drive while you're there.

You are able to apply for and use the Barclaycard financing in the store.

Enjoy your new iMac! :)

4. anon.ymous macrumors member

The following applies to the US stores, but I would imagine it's standard internationally:

True that the retail stores can't upgrade the processors, but for the 27" iMacs they'll have all the different options (i3, i5, and i7 even though the i7 is a custom order online) available. You wouldn't, however, be able to get a custom 27 inch i5 with the 5670 Radeon in store because that's a processor upgrade on that machine.

Barclaycard is super easy to apply for in store - usually takes about 5 minutes to get approval.

I've only ever bought my macs in retail stores - always a great experience.

5. StupidChris19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, everyone.

At this stage I'll give them a call in the morning to find out what my options are.

I'd love to be able to get my new iMac tomorrow (aren't we all a little impatient sometimes?) but might have to wait - iPhone 4 comes out here tomorrow so the Apple store will be nuts anyway...

Worst case scenario I'll have to wait a while longer, which won't kill me.

Thanks again! :)