Retail Store Return Policy, Very Funky/Complex Question...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dsa420, Sep 15, 2009.

1. dsa420 macrumors 6502

I purchased a Mac Pro from a local Apple retail store in TX last week and now found out that I will be relocating to California in the next month. In an effort to not run the risk of the computer being damaged or having to have the expense of shipping the machine via FEDEX or UPS, I am exploring the option of returning the computer.

What is my best bet for trying to get SOMEONE at Apple to see the big picture and have them cut through the beaurocratic BS. Essentially, I would like to have the ability to return the 1 week old machine to the retail store in TX and either have them order the same machine to be delivered to me in TX or provide a refund with out having to pay the 10% restocking fee.

I am happy to provide any sort of guarantee to the store in TX that I will indeed be buying the machine again (ideally I could just have them order it for me in the store) so that they don't feel like they are just waiving the 10% restocking fee for nothing.

I can't however seem to get anyone to commit to providing me with any guideance after calling the retail store locally, Apple's 1-800 number or after visiting a store in person in CA. There has to be someone at Apple who is capable of seeing the big picture....

Any suggestions?

2. creon macrumors 6502

14 day return; yet I am not sure if this would include the restocking fee.

Why don't you just bring it with you?

3. azboricua macrumors 6502a

azboricua

So you are afraid you might damage the computer while moving? What would you do if you didn't have the option of returning it? I don't get what the problem is, take care of your stuff, no need to return.

4. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

I wont be driving from TX to CA so my only options are to either ship it or check it with the airline. Neither of these makes me very comfortable.

5. bluespark macrumors 65816

The issue from Apple's perspective is that they can't sell a returned machine as new. The restocking feel compensates them for the cost of the testing, etc., that is needed to sell the computer as a refurb. and for the money they would lose selling it as a refurb, relative to the cost of a new computer.

As I understand your situation, the fee seems entirely justified.