Retail Tiger won't install eMac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by xtempo, Mar 26, 2014.

1. xtempo macrumors 6502

xtempo

So I got a retail version and I have tried to install it but I get an error and says to restart. I have looked on the book and it does say PowerPC G3-G5 so would this not work with my eMac?

Also got some G4 discs that the seller must have added for free.

Tiger is black and the other discs are grey.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Exactly what does the error say and exactly what version of 10.4 is it.

3. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

the box just shows 10.4 and also if it helps M9639Z/A.

I am going to use the eMac later and so I'll get the error. Its in the basement whereas I'm on the top floor.

4. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

What eMac are you using? I don't think the very last model (1.42GHz) was supported in the retail version of Tiger. The other 3 models were.

5. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

the first one which according to everymac can boot 10.4.1.1. I had Tiger on the eMac before but I cleaned the HD so I could use both OS9 and Tiger
    and get rid of the original owners info

6. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

How would it be not possible? I thought that as long as it was a retail disk and not a CPU-drop in DVD of model-specific DVD, it would work on any PowerPC Mac.

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I think the 1.42 GHz eMac came with a build of 10.4, which is not the same as the retail 10.4. That would explain the boot issue that the OP is having.
    If that's the case, then you would need some way of installing using an older Mac that WILL boot and install 10.4, then update to 10.4.11 - which should sort out the installing difficulties.
    FYI - the last retail Tiger version was 10.4.6 - which would be a better fit for your use.

8. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

luckily I happen to get a PM G4 by UPS so I try it on that and see what happens.

Is it possible to hook up to another mac and do an image of tiger onto another mac's HD?

9. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Not if it was a special build. For instance, the Power Mac G5 Early 2005 is one of the only machine I know of that shipped with a retail version of an OS. Most come with a forked build for that specific processor, or other components that the current OS build couldn't recognize.

10. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

I installed it on a 733Mhz Quicksilver PMG4 so can I hook this computer up to the eMac and do an image or do I have to buy a newer copy. I thought eMacs were G4s as well aren't they?

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Update the OS on the Quicksilver to 10.4.11 before cloning or booting the eMac from its hard drive.

12. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

how would I do that? Do I use a firewire cable directly with both macs or can I use a USB HD enclosure?

13. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I've never had an issue installing retail 10.4 on my 1.42 GHz eMac. :confused:

14. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I didn't intend to confuse anyone, but (in fact) I was incorrect. That 1.42 eMac was one of the Macs that shipped with the same Tiger version as the retail install.
    But, I have memories of lots of failed burns, and retail disks with Tiger that just wouldn't boot or install. Tiger was quite sensitive to both disk and drive problems, maybe it wasn't quite optimized for DVD installs.
    The problems that I have had with OS X installs is one of the reasons that I restored a good installer disk to an external hard drive partition. The boot and install is much quicker (and more reliable) than a DVD disk.