Carrier RetailMeNot app draining battery? Is it possible for apps to continue running?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by DramaLLama, Jan 3, 2014.

1. DramaLLama macrumors 6502

Is it possible for apps to continue running location services in the background for longer than 10 min? (I thought ios7 turns off background activity after 10 min)

I'm not sure but I think the 'location' option in the retailmenot app continues to drain the battery even when I'm not using the app... I also have push notifications turns off for the app. Normally the app would track when I'm close to some malls or something but it shouldn't be doing it since I turned off the appropriate settings..

Does anyone else have a problem with particular apps draining battery?

2. DramaLLama thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah crap made this post from phone in a bumpy car messed up the topic line.. Says carrier for some reason.. Mod please fix if possible can't see the screen in this caaaar

3. GreyOS, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Check Settings > General > Background App Refresh and see if your app is in the list. If it is, and Background App Refresh is enabled for it, then yes there is a chance it is running in the background and draining battery.

To prevent it running in the background, you have two options. You can either disable Background App Refresh for the app, or explicitly close the app by entering the app switcher (double click home button) and swiping the app up.

4. DramaLLama thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually see a lot of apps with background refresh enabled.. I turned off the retailmenot hopefully that fixes my issue..

... Why is Facebook using location services with background app refresh enabled.. Will I still get notifications if I turn this off?

5. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

I am not 100% sure on the following but:

The location service arrow next to Facebook in the Background App Refresh (BAR) list means that Facebook is capable of using location services. If BAR is enabled for Facebook, it doesn't necessarily mean it uses location services in the background, just that it could do. And it almost certainly doesn't mean it is always using location services in the background.

Now, a slightly confusing thing is that if you disable location services for Facebook (Settings > Privacy > Location Services), the location services icon still appears next to Facebook in the BAR list. However, don't worry, Facebook definitely won't be using location services in the background.

You will still get Facebook notifications whether or not BAR is enabled for Facebook.