Retain documents while switching iCloud accounts?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by JBaker122586, Aug 4, 2012.

1. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I'm getting married in a few weeks, so my wife's last name will be changing.
    Consequently, she'd like to change her email address and iCloud username from her current last name to my last name.

We've created a new iCloud account for her. Now, since her contacts and things are stored on the phone as well as in the cloud, we know that those will be uploaded into her new iCloud when we switch the account on her phone.

However, some apps use documents in the cloud for storage. Are any of those documents stored on her phone? For instance, when she switches her iCloud ID over, will she lose her progress on Tiny Wings? Her files in Pages?

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

2. D.C.M. macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, in some cases yes. You have to make sure that the app data is stored locally. I think that the data for games is also stored on your phone and only make sense to sync via iCloud if you would like to have the same game status on multiple devices. But you would lose in iCloud documents, stored in apps like GoodReader, if you do not download them, before you make the switch to the new account. The same thing happens with Photo Stream. You have just to make sure that everything is stored locally.