Retain warranty by swapping back to original Hard disk

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cambidex, Apr 3, 2008.

1. cambidex macrumors newbie

I thought of upgrading macbook pro hard-disk myself however it will void apple care warranty which i do not want that to happen...,lets say in a scenario whereby i have successfully upgraded my hard-disk and one day my macbook just died on me, so i have to send in for repair. I was wondering if it is possible to swap the upgraded hard-disk back to the original one without leaving any trace behind so that apple service will not notice any changes?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Why would they notice. Just swap the same way you did it to upgrade!

3. PDE macrumors 68020

This has been discussed and confirmed over and over again on this forum: you don't automatically void the warranty by changing the HDD. You only void the warranty if the swap causes problems. Obviously, the warranty also does does not cover the new drive, but as long as your didn't mess something up while doing the swap, you should be fine. Do a search for more information on this - lots of information about it.

4. DJJONES macrumors 6502

when i asked the apple dude he said yeah if you swap out ur hd it voids your wararnty unless there really ********ting you??? most likely theyll try each and every way to make it sound like its your fault lol

5. PDE macrumors 68020

well, I don't think the Apple dudes always know what they're talking about. I haven't confirmed myself but I believe several people here have and reported back....

6. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Just keep your OEM drive with a bootable system on it. If you need to take it in for repair, swap it back to the OEM drive. I wouldn't submit a computer for repair with add-ons (even RAM) anyway. There's no guarantee it'll come back with anything that isn't Apple branded if they decide to replace the whole thing.