Retaining battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theironist08, Jul 26, 2008.

1. theironist08 macrumors regular

I bought the iphone when it first came out and the battery problem is really starting to irritate me. Its put me in some really s**tty situations (meeting up with people and battery goes). Any tips on going easy on battery life? I'm already aware of the basic tips ..

*Turn off wifi when not in use
    *turn down brightness
    etc

What else?

2. GyroFX macrumors 6502

turn off location services aka GPS...you don't really need it till you really use it.

it actually saves more power to use wifi than 3G when you're in range of wifi. So if you're stuck in a place with wifi for a long time, turn 3G off

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

when you buy a brand new device with a battery you should calibrate it http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/9036.html (instructions for MacBook) so if you havent done this already do it now. also lithium batteries dont like to be exhausted every time you use it so try to stay above 50% all the time. these are just hardware tips to get the most out of your battery and prolong its life.

4. cambridge1807 macrumors member

Turn bluetooth off

Your battery should get better the more you use it. Let it go down until you get the warning, and give it a full charge. My battery seems to be getting stronger now that I've had it for a week. For today, it was on standby for 17 hours with 3 hours of usage without giving me a 20% battery life warning.

5. ec51 macrumors 6502

Since I have done a few FULL battery cycles I can go two days before a charge. This is with WiFi and Location services mostly off.

6. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

I have found that that my iphone can last for days on a single charge if I just turn it off. Works for me, but the only problem is I can't seem to get safari to work (slow as a dog) -oh well!

7. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

My best advice is to have a car charger and an extra home charger so whenever you are in either, it can be charging

I understand completely being put in bad situations due to poor battery life as I myself have to turn off the phone due to it being completely out of juice and man was that annoying

But, take the good with the bad

8. unclebenny macrumors newbie

Battery life varies GREATLY based on useage and settings.....The life will "get better" after a few charge cycles as well. This is actually just the battery meter becoming more accurate.

I have had mine less than a week, and heres what I got with it on my first battery test attempt:

-3G off
    -location services off
    -wifi on
    -bt on
    -push on
    -somewhere between 10-20% batt remaining

[​IMG]

9. PcEhAoCsE macrumors newbie

Yes, do everything that everyone above suggested as I have done...

Though my battery is not getting nearly as good a life as the above poster's,
    currently it is at 4 hours 54 minutes of usage, and 1 Day, 2 hours of Standby time without receiving the 20% battery life warning.

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I spend WAY more time on the internet than this poster I have to charge every night.