Retaining data on striped raid.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Valorite, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Valorite macrumors newbie

I used OSX to make 3 1.5tb drives into a raid0 array a long time ago for video capturing speed.

Now however I want to split the array back into separate drives, despite 4.5TB of storage, I only currently have 1.1TB of data on the array, and unfortunately do not have enough space to simply backup that much without buying another drive.

Is there anyway to have the array stop striping and put all the files on a single one of the drives, so that when I break it, one(or all, since they have enough room) of the drives will maintain the data I already have on there?

I was simply using Disk Utility in OSX.

2. belvdr macrumors 603

No there is not, as far as I know. With some advanced hardware controllers, this is possible, but I don't believe Disk Utility gives you these options.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

No, not via Disk Utility. Each disk would have to be re-formatted, and that will wipe the data on them. So you MUST make a backup prior to making any changes.

Either borrow or buy a drive, or worst case, you'd have to pick and choose what files stay or are lost forever. :eek: :(

4. Valorite thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for responses, guess I have to just buy another drive ;0