Retaining songs on iPhone with iTunes Match

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by wayland1985, Feb 22, 2013.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

Hey all,
    I'm leaving on a trip soon, and I'd like to prevent the disaster that happened the last time with iTunes Match: I had selected to "Download All" in my "Favorites" playlist the day prior to my last departure. I had checked at the airport, and it seemed all of my songs had downloaded. As soon as I put the phone into Airplane mode, all the songs disappeared.

Needless to say my 8 hour flight and two week trip were not pleasant to say the lest (I didn't want to use data while I was away

Any suggestions as to how to prevent this from happening again??? Should I just disable iTunes match, plug the phone into the computer and do it the old fashioned way??? Or should this stuff just stick???

2. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

The downloaded songs will be in the Songs tab in the music player. Once you turn on Airplane Mode the playlists become greyed out plus all the other iTunes Match tracks will be hidden, so only the downloaded ones will be shown in Songs, Artists, Albums etc. I just tested this as I am flying next week. Everything downloaded plays instantly and once a wifi/cellular connection is regained all the tracks from iTunes Match which were not downloaded appear again within seconds. Artwork for all these tracks does not have to be downloaded again, it just reappears as if hidden when in Airplane Mode. Not sure why you could not access your songs, perhaps you were only looking in the playlists section - which becomes greyed out after about 10 seconds of no connectivity. As I said, all these tracks will be in Songs.