Retina 13 i7 noise, battery life, heat issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by altaneriu, Mar 31, 2013.

1. altaneriu macrumors newbie

I can acquire the older rMPB 13" with the i7@2.9 or with the newer i5@2.6, both with a 256 drive, for the same price. Why the doubt, you ask? Heat, noise and run time. Does the older i7 have any known battery drainage, noise or heat issues?

Thank you.

2. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Short answer, no. At least no one is reporting such. Most problems on the 13" rMBP's are related to software/hardware issues that are inherent to Macs and OS X in general. I conjecture that not many people purchased the higher spec model when they were released because of the price to performance ratio. It did not make much sense to get a spec'd out 13" when you get a much better performing 15" machine for the same price. Sales didn't really take off until the refresh and price drop.

3. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

If i was in your shoes I would probably go for the i7 simply because it is potentially slightly faster, also there are no significant differences when compared to the 2013 model. if anything, you might take a small battery hit on the i7 but that is all speculation on my part.

4. altaneriu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the replies. Indeed, it's not easy to find info about this 2012 13" rMPB i7.

If you can direct me to any info you know about (namely from forum users), I'd be most thankful.

Does to your knowledge the 2013 update include any new parts besides the CPU?

Thank you.

5. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Yes, the 2013 has new SSDs, new I/O, new logic boards and a new screen supplier. The SSDs can be new SanDisk ones, in which the fan problem is fixed. The logic boards are because of the new CPU. The new screen is a new LG one, and the IR problem seems to be fixed with that one. Unfortunately, they are still shipping the old bad panel as well.

6. altaneriu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, that makes me rethink.

Since it was previously too expensive for me, I didn't consider the 13 rMBP until recently, so I don't know much about issues it has had in its first version. I only vaguely remember reading about screen, heating and fan issues, but don't know if those pertain to every rMBP or just the earlier-released 15". Mostly screen ghosting: any idea if that was sorted out in this iteration?

Benchmarks show a worthy difference between the pretty faster i7 from last year and the recently launched i5 1.6.

Do you think it might be wiser to chose the newer i5 over the older i7?

Thanks.

7. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Not really. If you get a 2012 with IR, you can just take it into Apple and they will replace it for you (usually with a Samsung). Besides, the i7 is faster.

8. altaneriu thread starter macrumors newbie

So the new components are not worth it and don't sort out those issues (heat, fans) that were identified in the first version?

Thank you for all the answers.

9. B... macrumors 68000

B...

The fan issue with SanDisks have been fixed with the new SMC update from Apple. Heat is normal, but the 2013s may or may have not tweaked the thermal design. Personally, I think any computer made out of aluminum will and should have some heat, but not too much.

Many issues are software/firmware based, with the exception of IR. This update I do not believe way very significant, just a way to get more products off the shelf (maybe Intel was even discontinuing the previous processors) to make room for the TRUE gen 2 product, which will contain bug fixes, in mid to late 2013 (with Haswell).

10. altaneriu thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, thank you for all the replies, B...

I really need to buy now, and this looks like a sterling machine, so I'll get it for a very good price while I can - store discount over what was Apple's already "lowered" price, making a 256 "older" i7 the same price as the "newer" i5.

Still trying to find some reviews with an analysis of the model with this processor.