Retina 13" MacBook Pro Ghosting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Josh Kahane, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Josh Kahane macrumors 6502

Hi

I have a 13 retina MacBook Pro and took it in for repair today at my apple store. It has a bad case of ghosting. When I was sitting with the genius he did their screen ghosting test and it passed. He said he would take in for for further tests though.

Anyone have any experience with this? Any tips on getting it fixed with them? I have a feeling they are going to say, sorry passed our tests, 'it's a software issue that will be fixed in future'. I know that's nonsense, screen ghosting has existed for long enough to know its not software related.

Hope you have some good stories to share.

2. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Can't say I've noticed on mine at all. However, WiFi is definitely NOT as good on this compared to my cMBP from 2011.

3. Josh Kahane thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that was fairly prompt. They rung me a few hours later, saying it passed all their tests but as a preliminary measure they have replaced the display. Going to pick it up tomorrow, hopefully I won't have the issue again.

4. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Gotta love Apple. Can't admit that their test sucks and doesn't reflect real world conditions- but they fix it for you anyway :)

5. Josh Kahane thread starter macrumors 6502

Got my Macbook back. They have replaced the screen and it appears this one has no ghosting/burn in whatsoever which is great.

However, this one does have a yellow tinge! Which bloody unlucky as they won't do anything about it. I've had an iMac in the past with the same issue. When its sitting next to my Cinema Display it drives me nuts (looks obvious sitting next to second display).

Guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet.

6. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Does calibrating it help at all, or are you talking about having already done that?

7. Josh Kahane, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013

Josh Kahane thread starter macrumors 6502

I have tried calibration without luck. After looking closer, I'm taking it back even if I probably won't have any luck, too much money for something with crummy colours.

It makes the screen look dark, dull and crap in comparison honestly (and I know they aren't normally).

Any tips on twisting Apple's arm in my favour when taking it in?

8. Josh Kahane thread starter macrumors 6502

Well all is sorted. Went into the store for a third time.

A guy deleted my appointment when I checked in so I was waiting for 30 minutes which probably made them extra nice to me, but anyway we compared the screen to other MacBooks on display he saw the yellow tint and offered me a second screen replacement or a brand new MacBook. Admitting that either could still have that issue, but I took the new MacBook so we opened one up and thankfully this one didn't have either issue!

Quite impressed I was offered this, All well and ends well thankfully.