retina 15" early 2013 kernel panics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nickandre21, Feb 22, 2014.

1. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

hey guys my mac book has been running flawlessly for a few months, no dead pixels or ghosting on my screen, apart from my left usb port not functioning with usb 2.0 devices for which i haven't got time to get it checked.

Since the past week my laptop has been throwing up kernel panics randomly whenever i am hooked up on an external display or working on motion or after effects or even fcp.I will paste a bit of the log at the end of my post. Another issue I have is my power cable fraying towards the strain relief of the magsafe2 port the charger works but I was wondering if apple would replace it under warranty i really would not want to risk having a short or fire if the cable gets worse.

here's a pic of the fraying
    IMG_20140125_140847.jpg

Here's the log from the panic

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That looks like a GPU hardware problem and you will need to take it in to Apple for repair.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

Uninstall the CUDA drivers and see if the panic persists. If so, I'd point to hardware issues with the GPU. Otherwise, there is an incompatibility at work.

4. nickandre21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well i gave it a try, it gave a kernel panic twice after which I decided to update my time machine with recent back ups and was away for 15 minutes when i got back the screen is blank but the keyboard light is on. The fn keys work so i hooked up my tv and it works. Then i noticed i could see my windows if there was bright light shining on the screen which let me assume the backlight is not working.so i did a smc reset, tried boot camp but to no avail. Will get it to the AASP on monday. Anyways for my second query you guys think apple would replace my charger with the fraying or i would need to pay for a new one.

5. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

normally that should fall under warranty and they should replace it. So if the mbp is under 1 year or if you have applecare I'd say they will definitely replace it for free

6. dhazeghi macrumors member

Looks like wear and tear - you'll almost certainly have to pay for it. If you need a short-term fix, reinforce the frayed area with a toothpick so it doesn't bend (risking further deterioration) and then use electrical tape to cover over the exposed wires.

7. nickandre21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well Im how it could be considered wear and tear:eek: the previous magsafe 1 i use on 2 other laptops have been great since 2-3 years. But anyways whatever they say just cant risk using this cable. Thanks mate. Il give your tip a try if they say i need to pay for a new one.

----------

Thanks its just been 7 months, I had a few key caps and a display changed till date. Il get the apple care as i near my warranty expiration.

8. nickandre21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well i left my macbook at the AASP 3 days back they called into tell me theres an issue with the graphics chip along with their tests not detecting my ssd and giving a palm rest temperature sensor error but they can only verify once they get a new logic board since they dont keep parts for testing, if however the palm rest sensor and ssd still do not get detected they will order parts and it again will take another week which means i am looking at two weeks without the mac if those parts still don't function. Can i then ask apple for a replacement laptop since it had two repairs earlier or should i just let them continue with repairs?

9. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

I'd ask for a replacement. If they say no you have to wait anyway.

You could tell them that you heard so many good things about apple and their support, but that you only had problems with your device and that 2 weeks is a really long time for a repair. Be friendly but firm.

10. nickandre21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will give that a try if the AASP tells me another part needs to be ordered. However out here we have no apple stores so how do i go about getting an exchange? From my past experience when i was in hong kong the genius bar gave me a replacement macbook as they could not solve fix a screen issue on my previous macbook.
    Thanks mate.

11. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

Here in Austria there are no Apple Stores either. Did an exchange via phone (Apple Care). I don't think Apple Service Provider do exchanges.

12. nickandre21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It would be really great and helpful if you could let me know how you got it done.
    Thanks

13. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

i called there (applecare) and stated the problem. they were like: yeah, bring it to the Service Provider it's a warranty thing. I said that I am not ok with the service provider in my region and that the service providers bad actions (there really were a few) make apple look bad. I stated what exactly were the problems with the service provider (they replaced a display [highres] with a wrong, normal, one, and in general the waiting time for small repairs like exchanging HDD were too long). I said that not only my personal experience with the service provider but also from what I have heard from other customers is not too good and asked if there was no other way of dealing with the problem. So in the end we agreed on an exchange. If I were you I'd ask if there was the possibility of an exchange (if you are ok with it, you could suggest to extra buy applecare because with such a computer I'd buy it anyway!)

14. nickandre21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, will call my AASP today and see, however i have been checking my support profile and there is no recent gsx repairs registered normall it gets registered when they call for a part.
    Asking for applecare seems like a good idea will think up on that and keep you guys posted.

15. nickandre21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So i got an.update from my AASP they recieved the board but its stuck on the apple logo, they just said we will chat with apple, i asked them what really is the issue so they went like today is the weekend wecan tell you by monday. As i got of i called apple care really helpful guys they said we do not do replacements in India but maybe an exception could be made. I told him buying a laptop for professional use i would really prefer it to be reliable, yea it is an electronic and could fail once twice but when it does third time i feel it may again and today with an update of another part failure it makes me doubt. I told him i could not loose another week so i would really prefer a replacement. He put me with a senior i told her my concerns, so.she spoke to the AASP who said my flash storage failed and they found some abnormalities on my display. No word about a replacement she only said will have your issue resolved on priority basis. They are involving the development team which will be possible on Monday after which she can.update me. I decided to let her get them involved, right now I dont know if i should be stern for a replacement or just let her carry out the repairs making about 60% of its internals replaced in one visit and hope it wont fail soon. Just worried of recieving a screem.with Ir or some other issues.