Retina 15" MBP long boot time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tanker5, May 25, 2013.

1. tanker5 macrumors member

I have a 2012 rMPB 15". When I first got it, OS X booted up in about 25 seconds. I noticed it getting slower, so I timed it -- it was now taking about 65 seconds. Pretty quick, but almost 3 times slower. The battery was 100% charged, plugged in, there weren't any peripherals attached, and I had shut down all my applications before re-booting it. I was curious as to why it was slowing down. I ran some benchmarks and speed tests and my results were consistent with the benchmarks I did when the machine was brand new.

I decided to do a fresh install of ML and see if anything changes. After the install, before I restored from my time machine backup, I tried shutting it down and re-starting it a few times (in the same manner I had before), and it was still consistently taking about 65 seconds to boot up. After restoring from my time machine backup, it is still taking 65 seconds.

Has anyone else noticed this with this machine in particular (or any Mac for that matter)? I have never experienced any Apple computer slowing down like this. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? My fear is that as time goes by it will get slower and slower.

Any comments/suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. andrezuppe macrumors member

I think it's not normal....
    My 15" retina MBP boots in 10 seconds (265 gb used on my 512 ssd), so even not necessary after a fresh install...
    Have you checked all permissions on your SSD?
    Maybe you can also try to reset PRAM....
    Bye,
    Andrea

3. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I have a 15" rMBP and haven't noticed any delay to startup time since I purchased the computer in October of last year. It still starts up in about 15 seconds, and that's with FileVault enabled. You might want to bring it to an Apple store if you have one nearby and a genius might be able to shine some light on the issue. If you don't have a store nearby, you could try giving Apple a call.

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

In System Preferences under Startup Disk, is your boot drive selected? If not, then the computer will search for drives before booting thereby taking a long time to boot.

5. nishishei macrumors regular

Pretty quick? That's Windows Vista on 2gb of RAM speed.

My Thinkpad X230 boots Windows 7 in 12 seconds with SSD, and my MBP boots OS X Snow Leopard in 20-25 seconds with 500gb 7200rpm HDD.