Retina 15" MBP VS 11" MBA.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Liquinn, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Liquinn Suspended

Debating what to get for my next purchase... would a 11" or 15" rMBP be a good idea? I'm coming from a 13" MBP and just wanting your opinions on the subject. I know both the rMBP can handle Photoshop etc which is what I will be using the machine for mostly. Along with web browsing etc.

Is the price difference worth it?

Thanks.

2. GekkePrutser, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012

GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

Why not compare the 27" iMac to an 11"
    MBA?

Seriously these are such wildly different machines.

But to keep it serious, photoshop will be very hard to use on an 11", the screen is tiny and isn't as good colour-wise etc. It'll be like editing images while looking through a toilet roll :) The 15" is clearly a much better machine, the 11" is much more portable (and way cheaper). Your functional needs and probably budget would determine this one.

The only drawback to the retina, functionally, is that you can't do 1:1 'pixel perfect' editing easily. If that's what you need the cMBP might be a better choice.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

you're asking on two machines on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

you need to ask yourself which size works best for you. do you want a smaller display then your 13" MBP, or a larger one. The 15" MBP offers better performance but is less portable then the 11" MBA so this begs the question - display size or portability, which one is more important to you. Only you can answer the question.

I can't see using photoshop on an 11" display personally, heck I thought the 13" was a bit small which is why I opted for the 15"

4. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

5. mac jones macrumors 68040

This is easy

If you want to save a lot of money and/or you want a Really light notebook, get the very nice Air.

If you want the best laptop in the world, get the 15 retina pro.