Retina 2012 13" Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jrainsforth, Oct 16, 2015.

1. jrainsforth macrumors newbie

jrainsforth

Hi.

Can anyone tell me if the odd shaping on the batter is normal. Someone is telling me it might explode but I wondering if he is just trying to scam money out of me.

Attached Files:

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

It is hard to tell from the above angle of the picture. Is the discoloration on the left battery caused by bulging? If yes, then that is a bad sign.
    The below information can be found under the upper left :apple: menu>About This Mac>System Report...>Power>Battery Information:
    What is the Cycle Count on the battery?
    What is the Charge Remaining (mAh)?
    What is the Full Charge Capacity (mAh)?

3. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

If it is bulging at all then that is a very serious issue. Lithium ion batteries are no joke in this regard. If it has changed shape then I would get a new battery *immediately*.

Lithium ion batteries catching fire quite vigorously (they don't actually "explode") is absolutely a thing.

4. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Would Apple replace a bulged/ unsafe battery even if the warranty is out? Anyone with experience on this matter in the forums?

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

They might do, in the UK you can claim under our consumer laws, in the US I think it's a bit luck of the draw, out of warranty you are liable for the maintenance and upkeep of your computer and the battery is a consumable part with a known end of life that you are hence responsible for, you may get lucky you may not.