iPad Retina 3rd Gen --> New iPad Air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CalMin, Oct 25, 2014.

1. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

I've had an iPad 3 and been very happy with it. It's getting a little choppy under iOS 8, so the new iPad Air 2 made it time to upgrade. I went onto Craigslist to see what I could get for my iPad 3 64GB (Verizon LTE version) and when I typed in "iPad 64GB", I found a newly listed mint condition 64GB iPad Air, Space Gray for $375. I quick haggle later and i get the guy to let it go for $350.

It's a huge update to the iPad 3 and I'm very happy with it. Yes - it's not the latest and greatest, but I'm also $300 (with tax) better off than if I'd bought an iPad Air 2 today.

I'll check out the Air 2 in the store this week, but it's going to have to be really compelling to get me to fork out the $300 extra.

2. Closingracer macrumors 68020

2gb of ram and 3 core cou is enough of a reason

3. CalMin thread starter macrumors 6502a

CalMin

Yeah. I guess, but until the software takes full advantage, I'm happier with $300 in my pocket.

4. Closingracer macrumors 68020

I felt that way with lte but now I love it lol .

5. mattoligy macrumors 6502

mattoligy

Couldn't agree more

6. iMule macrumors 6502

This is exactly the iPad 3. Every thing about this release has been the most lackluster one in a long time. I really think that this is an upgrade for the iPad 3 users, you know, the ones who had made it so long with a product that was discontinued after 6-7 months.

A future proof device is a dead give away that it's the last of its design and has the power to still perform when the newer product comes around.

7. Nozuka macrumors 68000

2GB of ram make this the most future proof ipad in a long time.

8. newellj macrumors 601

I have had the 2, then the 3, now the Air 1. The 3 was not a good experience - the screen was great, and LTE was nice, but the thing was too d@mned heavy for normal tablet use (IMHO, YMMV). The Air was like having an iPad 2 with retina and LTE. I still love it, no plans to upgrade now after having played with the Air 2.

9. 65535 macrumors member

Hopefully this makes you feel even better in your choice.

Average App loading, video playback, and web browsing (normal usage for most users) is as fast if not faster on the Air than the Air 2.

That's right the Air is easily comparable to the Air 2, however under heavier usage this may not hold true.

Sitting here with both devices (16GB Air, 128GB Air 2) the real advantage to me is Touch ID and a nicer touch feel due to the stiffer bonded display.

Both are a great upgrade from the iPad 3.

10. mickeydean macrumors 6502

Does the iPad Air add any real functionality? I use my ipad for medical school, just to view big pdf's. The weight is currently the only gripe about the iPad 3 and the processing. The lag is noticeable but not terrible.

Thanks.

11. CalMin thread starter macrumors 6502a

CalMin

After having it for a few days, I can't say it does anything different at all. It's just a nicer, smoother experience overall - it feels 'new'. How much value that holds for you is a personal thing.

12. EdMan, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014

EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

I come from the iPad 3 which I bought on launch 2.5 years ago. I really did feel a bit slighted when the iPad 4 came out 6 months later with the lightning connector and updated processor. However I stuck with it and for the most part had not even thought of getting a new iPad.

The Air tempted me last year but when I saw my wife's iPad 2 struggling with iOS 8 I knew it was time to upgrade. My iPad 3 also became a very frustrating experience with iOS 8 and given that we have both upgraded to iPhone 6's I wanted the complete experience all around. So far I really enjoy the lighter weight of the Air 2 and it's much faster than my old one.

13. mickeydean macrumors 6502

I came to that conclusion reading around. I definitely wished I could afford the new iPad Air 2, having seen the thinner display on it makes the gap between the glass and the LCD noticeable on my iPad 3.

14. jabingla2810, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

"Faster?"

It's really simple.

The iPad Air is great, and the iPad Air 2 is even greater.

You need to decide for yourself if the difference is worth the money.

If buying new, I say the extra $100 is worth the better screen, faster processor, double memory, better cameras, Touch ID and extended future support.

But if your buying second hand you may find a bargain, like the OP.

15. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

That's your problem right there. Upgrading the 3 past iOS 6 and you're bound to have issues. If you would've kept it there, it would be running fine.

16. NorthSeaBeach macrumors regular

My 3 runs smooth on iOS 7.1. It's not blazing fast, but not annoyingly slow either. I don't do demanding stuff on it though. I had my eye on the Air2, but after playing with some models in the Applestore, I tracked back. I've got a perfect even white screen on my 3 and with all the issues with the Air2, I don't want to take the risk of getting an inferior (bookspine, yellowing) screen on the Air2 and additional vibrations and rimpling. I had a lot of issues with the screen on my rMini and I'm not going there again. If I had a guarantee that the screen I was going to get was at least as nice as on my 3, I wouldn't mind upgrading despite vibrations and rimpling. All these things combined is just too much. Hopefully it will be sorted out in coming batches. If not I will wait for the Air3 which will be even more awesome and futureproof than the 2.

17. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

The difference between the iPad 3 and the Air 2 is like night and day. The iPad 3 was just too slow and choppy for me. But I guess if you don't use your iPad often or only for light reading, you won't need the Air 2.

18. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I traded in the wife's 3rd gen iPad at Best Buy and got $225 credit toward the Air 2. Ended up paying a grand total of $306 for the 16GB one. Worth the trade. I chose 16GB because he iPad never leaves the house and never has anything substantial put on it.

With that said, I think the original Air is great too. That's been my iPad since launch and it works great and is speedy enough. I think it'll be good for at least 2 more iOS updates, if not more.