Retina and Flash

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tim9724, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Tim9724 macrumors member

What makes a retina screen better over the hi-res anti-glare screen on a MBP? What makes flash storage better over the stock hard drive on the 15 inch MBP?

-Thanks!

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

The rMBP screen is higher resolution than the standard hi-res screen on the cMPB. The flash drive is faster than the stock hard drive in a standard MBP.

Also, you could have looked this stuff up with a quick search.

3. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

what he said ^

the cMBP can be argued to be better because of upgradability though.

4. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

In addition to upgradeability, a lot of people prefer the antiglare screen to any of the glossy ones that Apple is now using. I used to fall into this group, but I've gotten used to the glossy screen on my 13" MBP.

5. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

i think overall the hi-res glossy beats out the anti-glare as long as you control the lights around you or dont go outside.

6. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I think the problem that people run into us that they can't control the lights around them. I don't have this issue but I don't take my Mac to work.

7. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

true, maybe I'm just used to mine. With the brightness up enough I dont notice anything on my computers now. Thats in pretty much every light setting while going to class and such

8. Snowshiro macrumors 6502

There are only really two things that can be upgraded on any MBP though - hard drive and RAM. Upgrading the SSD on the rMBP is incredibly simple (it just slides out and isn't soldered to the mother board as the inaccurate rumors have suggested). So that only really leaves RAM, which if you buy 16 Gig at purchase time, will be more than enough for the lifetime of the machine, unless you are something extreme like a motion picture editor or very high end 3D modeller, in which case you'd probably not be using a laptop anyway.

9. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

you can also keep or remove the optical drive to add another ssd or a hdd for larger capacity. thats one of the major customizations that I really like about it. atleast for a frugal short term.