Retina Battery Replacement = New Top Case?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GWA123, Apr 26, 2014.

1. GWA123 macrumors newbie

Due to the battery design, does apple simply replace the top case or do they actually replace the battery?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

3. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I'm not sure what Apple does, but anyone with a $5 utrecht art store spatula can replace the battery without replacing the top case.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The battery is in the top case or the bottom?

I know its glued but I don't think they'll replace the top case. They I'm sure have the ability to peel it off

5. 5to1 macrumors 6502

I asked when I was in to get my wife's battery replaced on her non retina MBP. They confirmed they will replace the top case as part of the battery replacement on the retina (the keyboard side not the screen obviously, as top case is a bit ambiguous). Obviously that may change at some point, but as of a few months ago, that was there procedure.

6. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

The only reason why they replace the top case along with the battery on the retina models is because the battery's glued in place. As for the non-retina models, it's just a slightly exotic tri-wing screw holding it in place and those screwdrivers can be easily found on the internet for as little as $5.

If you don't need to keep the battery, then you can just was well get a metal spatula and pry it off. Hell, if you're careful you can even get it off without any damage to it.

In other words: Apple has made battery replacement a pain, but you can still do it yourself without having to replace any other components.

7. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I think I read somewhere that there are no 3rd party batteries for the late 2013 rMBPs available, even if you did want to do it yourself.

Barney

8. Fry-man22, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014

Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

I disagree with your assessment that this is easy, iFixIt said it was almost impossible and they may have a bit more real world experience than someone posting with they "think" would happen. The top case is thin, prying against could possibly deform it.

The reason they replace it all is they can buy the part for cheaper than the time/effort for a human to do the work and possibly ruin the part a percentage of the time. Replacing both is a known quantity with consistent results, the other method would be a craps shoot.

Try it and post back.

9. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

They said it was difficult getting it out UNDAMAGED and when you remove a battery from a unibody machine you usually do so because it's past it's prime and ready to be thrown out. Also, with a "spatula" I don't mean some of the wimpy things iFixIt used, I mean the kind that you use to remove flaky paint from walls and such.

A bit brutish I admit, but I've never found superglue that can stand up to that kind of treatment.