Retina Boot Times

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Outkast27, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Outkast27, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

Outkast27 macrumors 6502

My 2.7 16gb 512ssd retina takes about 16 seconds to boot. I was a little disappointed since a mba I had was closer to 11 seconds. Sounds funny to complain about 6 seconds, but not when you consider what I paid for this machine. How long are your retina mbp's taking to boot?

ABOUT 12 SEC NOW ON ML.

2. where is it macrumors 6502

where is it

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Mine has been taking loner since I setup boot camp, still always less than 20 secs though.:D

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

That sounds completely normal for Lion. People are saying it could be closer to 10 in ML; it of course depends on things like your enabled login items.

5. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

It depends. Sometimes it's 9-10 seconds. Sometimes it's 20 seconds. It's rarely longer than that.

6. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I'm consistently seeing between 11-13 seconds on boot. It didn't even change when I upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion. I haven't set up Boot Camp yet, so that might affect the overall speed though.

7. AnthonyCM macrumors regular

I started another thread having not seen this one. I've replicated the (poor) start up time over and over. Could it be a faulty SSD? Here's what I wrote:

I received my MBPR a couple of weeks back. One thing I noticed, compared to my 2011 Air, is that it takes longer to start once I turn it on. I finally got around to timing it. From the time I hit on until the time I get to the screen showing my choice of users is 43 seconds. Is this normal?

Anyone know what might be causing this? All software updates have been installed, and I'm on Mountain Lion.

What times are you coming up with?

Thanks,
    Anthony

8. ryane67 macrumors member

Im consistently getting about 10 seconds, I just got the machine today, updated to ML about 2 hours ago.

9. AnthonyCM macrumors regular

Fixed (I think)

Looks like it was an accounts issue for me. Once I set it up for only one user with automatic log-in for that user, boot up time was then consistently around 13 seconds. Now if I could just figure out how to turn that damn Apple "booooong" off when I turn on the computer. But that's for another thread.

10. br3nt macrumors member

43 seconds is way to much... try using the Apple Hardware Test

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

I did the extended one as soon as I got home, took between 30-60 minutes

Edit: i'm using autologin and restore open windows - havent timed it yet but after the update to ML i would say around 10-15 seconds till im up and running.

try making a restore/clean upgrade to ML and see if it helps if AHT says everything is ok

Edit2: For the bootup sound http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1414091&page=2

11. Lvivske macrumors regular

12. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

how is it that boot times can vary so much between relatively the same machines and setups? I understand some systems have programs loading during boot, but are there other factors?

13. adeon macrumors newbie

Do a fresh install of ML, I used an utility to allow the Downloaded app to make a bootable sd card. Mine used to take about 35 seconds and got fed up (considering it took way less right when I got it; after some updates it started) once I installed ML from scratch it's been blazing fast

14. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

15. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

prove it

16. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

about 10 here, not a whole lot loading on boot.