Retina Bootcamp - CPU Speed , HIGH Temps, etc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OSMac, Jun 19, 2012.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

Just installed bootcamp on a base retina pro, comments and cpu boost speeds, temps, etc below...

Bootcamp installs very easily using the utility in OSX.
    Let it create a USB stick from a win7 x64 ISO file.
    Once installed just go the WindowsSupport directory on the USB stick and run setup.
    Everything gets installed , video driver, wireless etc.
    The video defaults to full 2880x1800 at 150% scaling and looks mostly great.

After rebooting programs look blurry with 150% scaling.
    To try and solve that go into the programs properties/compatibility and turn DPI scaling off, the checkbox may not available to change with older programs.

I installed CPUz, RealTemp and Prime 95 and did some quick testinig.

Cpuz reports:
    The memory is clocked at 1600 with rather slow timings 11-11-11-28 1T.
    The CPU idles at 0.81 volts 1.2GHz
    Under load uses 1.0 volts hitting 3.1GHz and rarely 3.2GHz

RealTemp:
    Idles around 45-53C, but
    under full Prime95 load it quickly SKYROCKETS to 90-100C !!!
    Even under smaller 2 core loads it heats up quick.

I shut the load down when I seen it rising so fast.

Interesting I did not hear the fans kick in at all or they are very very silent.

Couple of screen shots attached one idle and one at 2 core P95 load.

Maybe others can report their findings,
    the load temps are a concern
    but maybe its an issue with the RealTemp 3.7 software.

If not I guess the CPU will be throttling a fair bit?

Attached Files:

2. Fynd macrumors 6502

How quickly are we talking to hit those numbers?

I've read that the fans are noticeably better, but nowhere near silent at full speed. Depending on how quickly you're hitting those numbers, and just how high they're going, this could be a fan issue.

3. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Just tried installing MS Flight, within 3 minutes the temps were hitting 100C !!!

I did hear the fans this time, but these temps are alarming?

Anyone do any load/temp testing in OSX?

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

You know that all Macs run hot under bootcamp? Dont be starting a damn "bootcampheatgate" bs thread.

5. auhlixer macrumors regular

high temps

This is how it is using bootcamp. Every macbook pro i had did it. mbp2006 2008 2011 they all did it. Funny thing is that a coworker had a hp w/ similar specs and was 40c idle and 57c under heavy load.

I think apple may be blocking something that windows needs hardware wise to run w/o turning into a fire

6. GrayParrot macrumors newbie

Could you kindly report what applications look like if you set your screen resolution to 1400x900? I'm really curious to see how the display performs without pixel doubling and how applications like Photoshop or Autocad look.

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

All the MBPs run hot under bootcamp. It doesn't use the graphics switching so the Nvidia GPU will be permanently powered up. 100C is within spec for the CPU.

It's a quad core laptop with a powerful GPU thats less than 3/4in thick. Set it off all guns blazing and it's obviously not going to run silently with a 45C CPU temp as the laws of physics get in the way.

8. pacman7331 macrumors regular

pacman7331

Hmmm, I think its pretty important news to know the heat index in bootcamp at full throttle before spending 3K on a laptop dont u?

If it hits 100C thats only 5 degrees from shutting off...

Personally Id like to know that tidbit if information, and thank the OP for starting the thread.

Looks like a cooling pad is a neccessity for this one too... I was really hoping Apple would improve their heat issue... 5 degrees away from shut off is really scary. The last MBP i had could not run starcraft for over an hour without overheating...

I just dont see how this is a "BS" issue buddy...

9. satchow macrumors 6502

How did you install Bootcamp on a MBPR? Did you use a Superdrive or is it possible with a 3rd party USB drive?

10. pacman7331 macrumors regular

pacman7331

100C is 5 degrees away from a sudden shut off just FYI.
    When it happens to u, you will be appalled.

11. OSMac, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

12. pacman7331 macrumors regular

pacman7331

Its a known issue, Apple fanbois usually get grumpy when you bring it up, and Apple remains mostly silent on the issue.

I was hoping the new cooling system would improve on this age old problem, and that Apple was comming around...

Can you try cranking up a demanding 3d game like starcraft, buying a cooling pad and then telling us what the temp specs are?

13. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

you should try getting smc fan control, it still allows to control the fan speeds AFAIK, but wont register the temps.

When Im gaming on windows I always use it

14. pacman7331 macrumors regular

pacman7331

15. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

16. pacman7331, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

pacman7331 macrumors regular

pacman7331

Lol it dissipates heat, its not supposed to blow air into the vents.

edit: I suppose those LTs with fans on the bottom do benifit from this more, but its not a requirement. Take TILT for example for earlier unibody MBP:

http://www.themadminds.com/pages/tilt

Here is another good link for reviews of pads in 2012:

http://www.squidoo.com/best-laptop-cooling-pads

17. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

What you see is pretty normal. Prime95 is highly optimized, so it uses all available processor resources (similar to x264). Ivy Bridge should run 30-60 percent cooler, compared to Sandy Bridge, but not with Prime95 or x264.

18. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Its does the same with games or other less demanding apps too.
    Once the one or more of the CPUs hit 100% temps rise and rise fast.

A quick test in OSX and iStat is reporting normal temps, so its just a bootcamp issue.

I can live without bootcamp will just uninstall it, not going to melt a 2K machine for games.

19. cirus macrumors 6502a

In other words there is no point to upgrade the CPU because it will just throttle.

20. AAP8 macrumors newbie

AAP8

No, in other words ... use VMWare Fusion or Parallels so Mac OSX can control the heat ...

21. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Agree, also I only wanted the upgraded SSD and CPU for games and bootcamp partition, now will save the money and keep the base model.

Apple does not really want native Windows on these machines .

22. tjb1 macrumors 68000

They have always done this in bootcamp, ALWAYS. Its not a new issue, a search will bring up multiple threads about "overheating" in windows. By the way, Prime95 is a stress testing application. Designed to work the processor.. I doubt the claims of the processor hitting 100c in SECONDS. Also, I run Solidworks and Mastercam under bootcamp...both are intensive CAD/CAM programs. Yes the computer runs hot, no it did not melt. Thats the way it is going to work. Return it as many times as you want, its not an isolated issue...it will get hot on every Mac.

SMC Fan Control is a Mac Application, not Windows.

Those do hardly any good, all it will do is cool the case of the computer by a few degrees. You will not notice any effect on CPU temperatures...

You are not going to melt it, it will shut itself down long before then. If it melts, I am sure Apple will take care of it. Also if you hit 1200 F, im sure you have other problems. In case you didnt know, 1200 F is the melting point for aluminum.

23. Naish84 macrumors newbie

It happens for a simple reason: fans are not working in bootcamp! You need an app to control them and you will get the same temps of osx, I was using " lubbo fan control" with my 2011 Mbp, try to google it and see if it works with ivy bridge

24. minnus macrumors 6502

People aren't hitting high temps on OS X? Are they putting full load on it as well? On my Air (2011), full load on BootCamp AND OSX == 95C+-5

25. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

One of the reasons why the temperatures rose so quickly is that Apple reworked how the fans rev up within the past couple of years. Before they'd spin faster as the heat rose. Now they turn on just as the CPU is nearing its maximum temperature. The second way is how most non-Apple laptops have operated for years. Nothing to be worried about. If the Macbook Pro feels hotter to the touch it's because it's made of aluminum. Aluminum has good heat conductivity, unlike plastic, and actually helps cool the machine.