Retina Buying Advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kylelnsn, Jun 13, 2012.

1. kylelnsn macrumors newbie

Hi all,

About the pull the trigger on a new Retina Mac Pro as I'm due an upgrade really. So all good timing.

But I have a few questions.

I am looking at the following spec;

Custom 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
    065-C0MY -2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
    065-0474 -16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    065-0478 -512GB Flash Storage
    B065-0490 -Backlit Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)
    B065-0493 -Accessory Kit
    APPLECARE PROTECTION PLAN CONTRACT)

My questions;

Am I going to notice the jump in processor day to day?
    Is it clever to have the 16gb of RAM?
    What is all this Turbo Boost???
    How many years is this going to be "Current"
    Should I wait for the next macbook pro?

Cheers!

2. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

1.) What is the computer used for, and what are you upgrading from? Unless you run pro apps all day, or your current laptop is more than 3 years old, most likely not.

2.) Yes, you can't upgrade the RAM at a later time on the Retinas.

3.) The CPU is designed to scale its clock speed and core usage depending on load. It's mostly marketing as it happens in the background transparent to the user.

4.) As long as it does what you need it to do and you feel you don't need to upgrade.

5.) Why? If you need/want a new one now buy one now, when the've just been released. If you wait another 8-12 months you'll be asking yourself the same question again anyway.

3. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Wait till next year. The screens will be much cheaper. Now they are adding ~$700 to each MacBook. not including apples ~30% margins.

4. Martialis macrumors member

1. The general opinion is no, you won't really have a noticeable performance increase with the processor upgrade.

2. Yeah, I guess. It sure isn't made to be easy to upgrade. Might be a complete waste though, depending on what you are actually using your computer for. 8Gb is probably more than adequate for the vast majority of users.

3. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technology.html Basically the processor can increase capacity when you are doing something CPU intensive.

4. I haven't the faintest clue.

5. I have no idea. You don't give us enough information on what you currently have and would be using this computer for.