Retina cmd-shift-3 cmd-shift-4 screengrabs are double resolution upon save....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sean Dempsey, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

So I do design, and I often use the screen cap selection tool to grab snippets of the screen.

On the desktop, these are saved as 2x the dimensions of what you took. This is sort of annoying and may not be usable. I will be installing CS5 later tonight and will be able to determine if this computer can even be used for graphic and design work at all.

Example below, I did NOT alter this, it's a straight cmd-shift-4 capture.

Attached Files:

2. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Take a screenshot of something that's not GUI based.. like an image from a website within the browser and repost that.

3. Sean Dempsey, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Straight screen grabs of the apple homepage, the icons of these screenshots, and the above post. Again, this is how they are saved to the desktop upon capture.

Sort of weird. I'll have to manually 1/2 size them all in photoshop each time I do a capture. I am starting to think that this retina idea is sort of an ill conceived feature right now.

Attached Files:

4. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

I don't think it'll cause any problems in the long run except for adding 1 extra step to editing.. being needing to scale the image down more than usual. Is that essentially what you mean by it being annoying?

5. ladeer macrumors 6502

If you take a screen shot of something and paste into photoshop, it will look twice as big because your capture is in native 2880&1800 resolution while Photoshop is not running in native resolution, but half of the size.
    Essentially whenever you switch between the scaled world of your computer and the real world you will face some anomaly. I personally am scared too about this change as I take screen shot a lot in my work flow. If rMBP isn't so cheap, I would totally buy a regular MBP.

(I must have 8gb of ram and 256 ssd, that's my current setup. To have that on MBP I will pay another 400 above my rMBP price. So yeah I have to make some sacrifice by getting the cheaper rMBP)

6. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Man I wish I had photoshop installed, because this is very strange.

In the browser there, you see a 1920x1200 image which basically takes the the full screen as it should. So I save it to the desktop, and open it in preview - and it's 25% of the size. So a 1920x1200 image is shown at quarter size (this is the same at the "retina" native res too).

This is some bizarre behavior. I realize that it is "intended" for this display, but if I open a 1920x1200 image in photoshop, it's going to be "full size" and show up as 25% of my screen?

Attached Files:

7. pgiguere1, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I don't understand the problem here. You would expect the screengrabs to downscale what's on your screen to half its resolution? That's not what happens, it takes them at the real resolution at which it's displayed.

If you open those files with a Retina-enabled app like Preview, it should be displayed at the same size as when it was captured. If you open it with an application that's not updated for Retina, of course it will still open the image at its real resolution and display it like it's 2x bigger. Apple said at WWDC that Adobe is working on an update to make Photoshop Retina-enabled.

That's perfectly normal, unless you meant something else.

EDIT: After looking at your image, it appears that you're using scaling to make your screen look like 1920x1200. Is that right? Cause that's pretty relevant here. In that case, OS X renders at 3840x2400 and the screen downscales the image to 2880x1800. The screengrabs would capture elements as they are rendered, not displayed. Apple should indeed release a fix to make screengrabs the same size as they are displayed by the screen when in scaled mode, not the size they are rendered by the OS.

8. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Look at the screenshot of the cadillac.

OS resolution: 1920x1200
    Browser: a 1920x1200 image
    Same image in PREVIEW: 960x600

Now, we know that the image in preview has 1920x1200 "native" pixels... but I have my screen set to "1920x1200". So if OS X knows what resolution I want, and that this image is a certain pixel size, why doesn't it show a literal 1920x1200 pixel image as a virtual 1920x1200?