Retina delamination - Are the newest models still vulnerable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ephone1, Apr 27, 2016.

1. ephone1 macrumors newbie

I am wondering if Apple discussed any changes in manufacturing process to prevent this on the new Retina screens?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple does not typically disclose such things, and I don't recall hearing about them releasing any information. Companies usually don't admit to failed manufacturing processes and by saying they changed the way they make the display panels, that would be an admission of guilt which could hurt them in a class action suit (if there ever was one).

More likely they silently tweaked their manufacturing process some time ago, but there's no way to know this.

3. smelly cat macrumors regular

smelly cat

Even if the newest models do have the problem, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Apple has formally recognized the problem and have since implemented a repair extension program. In addition, the problem does not render the machine unusable even if it crops up, so critical data and such would be safe even if it were to happen to you.

4. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

This is why it's best to avoid gen 1 products. Apple usually refines and improves their manufacturing process in time for the second revision.

5. Barry01 macrumors newbie

6. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I have a late 2014. Zero issues. Truthfully, my original mid-2012 rMBP's screen didn't delaminate either. The display and graphics card were constantly broken though

7. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

My wife's late 2013 15" is starting to. Will be visiting the Apple store soon.

8. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I wonder why this is happening. Does your wife use a keyboard protector or something like that?

9. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

No keyboard protector at all. It starting to show on the left side along the bezel part of the screen.