Retina display and video playback

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Platinumjsi, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Platinumjsi macrumors newbie

Ok my impression with video playback on retina displays was that any content inside the video player would output at its native res rather than the scaled res of the desktop?

However when I fire up a 1080p blu ray rip VLC full screens? Im running the scaled 1680 x 1050 res so if that were a standard screen then full screening a 1080p video would be right? however this is a 1600p screen.

My expectations were that when firing up the player it would load in a window 1080 pixels high?

Clicking normal size does nothing at all.

Running a Haswell 13" rMBP

Images on websites appear to be outputted correctly rather than scaled and sites like Youtube / iPlayer also seem to be.

Basically I am really trying to find out how to make sure any content is outputted pixel for pixel rather than scaled.

Thanks in advance guys

2. Platinumjsi thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok looks like I was wrong about the images, just picked a 1600 x 1200 image off google and its more than full screen?

How can I get images / videos to output pixel for pixel?

----------

Even preview is doing it when I select "actual size"?

Hopefully in time Apple can get the DPI scaling worked out so the screen outputs at native res without everything looking small rather than this pixel doubling hack / bodge.