Retina display app update size is now smaller

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JUiCEJamie, Mar 15, 2012.

1. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Since the Apple Inc. updates in the App Store went out last week. Here in MR Forums, we began to speak about to size increases for these apps.

WordPress has just updated their app around 12 hours ago.
    Before: 5.5 Mb.
    After: 4.6Mb.

I checked the above my using the 'Usage' option in Settings.

How is this possible? - Okay, not many images are in the WordPress app, but to go down in size? Crazy.

Update: Within the App Store [Direct Link] the app states it's 2.9MB?!

2. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Maybe that's the download size - it'll unpack and install I imagine.

3. mmf01 macrumors member

Yeah, I've noticed the same. Especially with games like Real Racing 2 HD. Will say like 446MB on the App Store and once you check usage after installation it shows like 1.2GB.

Perhaps the size listed is the compressed pre-install size? Given all the imagery in the game, I could see that being a possible reason.

4. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Apps like Wordpress should see virtually no change since its all default UI/text stuff.

Not sure why it would drop, maybe they had some image assets in there and rather than increase their res they used more default stuff in place.

5. JUiCEJamie thread starter macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Maybe I shouldn't of added the update.

What I mean is, even with the App unpacking.. it's still smaller than the 'non-retina' update.

6. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I wouldn't expect basic app's file size to increase too dramatically. However, games and video based apps I'd imagine them being signification bigger. I doubt the wordpress app utlizes too many complex images, and they probably found a way to increase the compression on the graphics. My theory at least.