Retina Display Assembly Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nimmerzz, Oct 8, 2015.

  1. Nimmerzz macrumors newbie


    Oct 8, 2015

    So i am helping a friend replace his broken MacBook Pro 15" screen that he broke. In the process of taking off the broken glass and LCD layers the 'Films" underneath seem to have been damaged as well and probably need to be replaced. Some of the broken pieces got between some of the layers and i'm sure will show through.

    I would like to know what they are called and/or where to get them. Otherwise we're looking at replacing the whole assembly.

    Also, how can you tell the time of year it was manufactured? In the descriptions it says things like "Mid-2014" etc....
  2. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a


    Mar 1, 2013
    The "mid-2014" you see mentioded is not a manufacturing date, but a model. Check the serial number from the bottom of the computer, and enter it to Apple warranty coverage lookup to see what the model is.

    The films are a light guide, a couple of prism sheets and a diffuser. I have not seen them being sold separately, but browse eBay or other sites for them, or you could source them from another broken display assembly.
  3. hallux macrumors 68030


    Apr 25, 2012
    I thought Apple had fused the LCD to the glass. With that being the case, the most desirable results will happen only with a complete "clamshell" swap, replacing the LCD, glass and aluminum cover.
  4. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a


    Mar 1, 2013
    You can see how the display assembly is put together here: MacBook Pro Retina Display Teardown

    It's hard, but certainly possible to replace just the panel, and if the panel is already broken you don't need to worry braking it in the process.

    But if the clamshell, the antennas or the films are damaged, then it might quickly become more sensible to get a new complete display assembly.

Share This Page

3 October 8, 2015