Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

wermy

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
I think there's some confusion here. A "retina" display does not refer to a specific resolution, but a specific pixel density (combined with an expected average distance that the screen will be from the user's face). They've got a fancy equation for it and everything.

If the iPhone (or iPad) screens get bigger (which it sounds like they might), then yes they will need to pack more pixels in to maintain the "retina" status.

Comment

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
There's ALWAYS a newer/better device coming out "next year"

Can you discern the individual pixels on a current 264-326ppi display in normal usage?

If not, what benefit do you expect from a higher resolution display?

I imagine there will be some benefit if you dig into it, but we're already into the territory of "just noticeable differences"...

Comment

Suspended
May 3, 2011
And who knows what the future will bring from Apple. The article seems to be basing a lot of I formation for Samsung.

Besides, anything you buy tech wise will be obsolete with in week really.

Comment

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
I cant tell a difference in fidelity between my technician's 440ppi HTC, and my 326ppi iPhone.

More poxels mean more gpu cycles used. Means more heat and power and less battery.
Tinnier poxels mean more backlight strength needed to acheive same brightness. Again less battery.

Spec sheet competitions aren't always beneficial to the consumer.

Comment

chabig

macrumors 604
Sep 6, 2002
Yes. Next year, Apple's competitors 'might' have this or that feature that looks better on paper than what Apple is shipping today. Don't worry about it.

Comment

Whoakapi

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2010
With a density of 326 PPI all screen manufacturers can compete on now is GAMUT!

The Retina Mini is doomed, I tell ya.

Comment

mykelala01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Obsolete?

The great Steve Jobs once said your eye won't see anything beyond retina. So if there is any display better than retina you won't even notice it.

Comment

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Nigam Arora should put a dictionary at the top of his Xmas/birthday/relevant holiday wishlist methinks.

Comment

Shoco

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2013
Going beyond 330ish ppi is actually a downgrade, especially if you like gaming.

It doesn't improve the sharpness by a noticeable amount, but on the other hand it does put more constraints on the device to drive all those extra pixels, which means worse battery life and worse performance (especially 3D intensive games).

And if that wasn't enough, because the resolution is so high you then need actual content in that native resolution, otherwise it's pointless and actually looks worse than on a lower res screen, and since there's almost no content in more than 1080p you do the math.

It's a downgrade, just a marketing gimmick.

Comment

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Wait ever year for the new tech in the following year and you'll never buy anything.

Comment

thresk

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2013
I will be returning my iPad Air as soon as I get it. Thank you for the article....

Comment

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Certainly there is not enough content available at 4K or UHD, and if there is I would prefer to watch in a way bigger screen than my iPhone.

Obviously if the AirPlay capabilities allow for this to be streamed from my iPhone to my TV this is very welcome.

However I agree with you who mention that obsolete is not really the right term to describe this.

Browsing in iOS 7 in Safari in an iPhone 5 is really annoying nowadays, the screen is all cramped with the time on the top and the navigation controls at the bottom, this might be improved with a bigger screen.

Otherwise unless the iPhone camera can actually capture those higher resolution images and videos there will be not much advantage unless the streaming services like Hulu, Netflix, and many others offer them.

Comment

Señor

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
United States
Retina Display is far from obsolete.

Journalist are just hired to say stupid things.

Nobody really knows what's coming up next. This is all speculation.

But of course it'll be better next year.

Comment

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
The great Steve Jobs once said your eye won't see anything beyond retina. So if there is any display better than retina you won't even notice it.

I actually believe that. Same issue with the new 4K TVs that they are in such a hurry to sell everyone. It was hard enough for the average joe to even see a big difference between blubray and DVD which should be quite obvious unless you are blind.

Not saying apple won't update the displays but that's the last thing they end to work on IMO.

Comment

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012

+1

That was the first thing that came to my mind as well. When he was introducing iphone 4

Comment

Tork

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2006
This article is incredibly poorly researched, and is a perfect example of a lack of understanding of both the difference between resolution and pixel density and the limit of the capability of the human retina...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.