Retina Display Comparison

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kadvani041387, May 26, 2019.

1. Kadvani041387 macrumors newbie

Kadvani041387

Hi all

I currently have a 2012 15 inch MacBook Pro with the Retina display. I’ve been considering getting the latest 2019 model but I’m hoping the display is better than the one I already have right now. I know the display hasn’t been updated to 4K resolution, but I’m hoping there improvements that make it better. Everyone’s input would be appreciated.

2. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

It's got a wider colour gamut, so where content is optimised to use it (the OS, some web content), it will look more colourful. It's also brighter, though as far as I can see that's only really a boon if you use it outside or indirect sunlight a lot. Other than that it's a very similar panel overall, as you mention same size and resolution, same refresh rate too (no 120Hz or 144Hz) though again that's of questionable value for any application outside of gaming really.

3. Kadvani041387 thread starter macrumors newbie

Kadvani041387

Falhofnir, do you think it’s worth upgrading from my 2012 15 inch MacBook Pro to the latest model? I bet the power difference is like comparing night and day. I’d also welcome the better brightness and wider color gamut. I don’t do extensive video editing or photo processing, but there might be other benefits to upgrading.

4. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Well, if you can wait (up to) a year there's meant to be a 16" redesign coming. Most are assuming it will be the same physical size as the 15" with smaller screen bezels, the resolution might also be bumped up from 2880x1800 to 3360x2100 (as the default 'looks like' resolution has been increased from 1440x900 to 1680x1050 on the 2016-2019 models, though the physical resolution remained the same - this would restore integer 2x scaling).

I'm certain there would be something of a speed increase going to a 2019 (or even a refurbed 2018), though if you're not taxing the system a lot it might not be that noticeable? Mainly because the 2012s use SATA SSDs while the latest machines use NVME SSDs meaning data can be read from and written to the drive a lot faster. Having said that the 2020 model will only be even faster and might come with a few more benefits beside.

Not sure how read up you are on them, but the current generation of machines have had their share of issues including the Keyboards having an above average instance of stuck, repeating, or non registering keys; there's a (partially or fully fixed depending on who you listen to) issue with the display flex cable ('flexgate') and a few other quibbles besides. I don't want to completely put you off here, a lot of people have these machines and are very happy with them, but make sure you know what you might come across before committing to one! And of course if the screen is important to you, waiting a bit longer for the 16" will probably be worth it too if you're not absolutely desperate to upgrade!