Retina display - do you have issues with blurryness on websites/office 2011?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dex91, Jan 8, 2014.

1. dex91 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I had my heart set of buying a macbook pro 13" retina display but I've been stopped in my tracks by a couple of issues with the retina display (according to reviewers). The rMBP will be primarily used for word processing over the next 3 months along with adobe pdf reader and the internet for college. And some movie/tv streaming in between :)

I've read reviews which have said that the majority of websites can appear blurry. I've also read that office for mac 2011 is blurry even after applying the retina display compatibility update? For rMBP owners, could you clear these issues up for me?

Thanks,

Dex

2. NativeTxn macrumors regular

I don't know about the Office 2011 issue but I've had my rMBP for about a month and a half. I use safari and haven't found a website yet that is blurry.

3. dex91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect, thanks for your prompt reply - that puts my mind at rest. What about other applications? e.g. adobe reader for PDFs. And would you recommend paying the extra £100 for the retina display?

If anyone here has a rMBP with office for mac 2011, please let me know your experience vis a vis blurriness. Thanks!

4. TheEnthusiast macrumors regular

I am yet to see a website that suffers from blurriness. That was an issue at first, but now it seems like every website has been "retina-optimized." I should note that certain images on webpages can look blurry, due to their lack of detail, which becomes more apparent on such a high-pixel density screen; not much of an issue and you won't notice it too much I think. For the most part, everything is razor sharp with Office 2011 after the update. However, certain elements and menus are noticeably blurry, like the drop-down font menu and layout selector/style sector. All in all, you'll be fine.

5. dex91 thread starter macrumors newbie

So you would recommend over the non retina MBP?

6. TheEnthusiast macrumors regular

I don't remember what a non-retina laptop screen looks like...I don't think I ever will. Displays like this should be in laptops of all models.

7. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Without question. I would never buy a non-Retina device again, laptop or ipad. And I'm not buying a Mac Pro until there's a decent high-resolution screen to go with it.