Retina Display for gaming compared to a 1080p display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hemon, Feb 20, 2016.

1. hemon macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm interested in the macbook retina also for light gaming but I want to know how is the graphic quality at 1080p or worst compared to a full-hd display: Is the scaling way worst?

Cheers ;)

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Scaling is seamless, that's the whole point of Retina.

3. hemon thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the fast answer.

So you mean the the quality at – for example – 1080p exactly the same is also if the display of the macbook is "retina" and the other 1080p native, right?!

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If there's a difference, you won't notice it.

6. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

1080p image will surely look sharper on a native 1080p display. On a retina display the same image gets rescaled as those 1080 pixels vertically don't match the exact number of real pixels. But that's nothing to worry about, the loss of quality (sharpness) is almost unnoticeable and definitely not a reason to avoid a high-resolution display.

7. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

I would just use a resolution that's 1/4 (half the horizontal and half the vertical pixel count) of the screen you have. Then there isn't really any scaling. 1 rendered pixel becomes 4 pixels on screen. Plus the slightly lower resolution should improve performance since mobile hardware is generally weak for any games that are graphically demanding.