retina display glitch? anyone with similar issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Freida, May 15, 2013.

1. Freida macrumors 65816

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if it was after the last patch but these days I notice that sometimes the bottom third of the display quickly flashes for like split of a second.
    First I thought it was safari issue as it was showing it there but then I noticed its actually in the whole screen.
    Anyone else has similar issue or experience? I just wonder if I need to take it to the apple store (which will be hard to demonstrate as it does it randomly and one can't really do certain thing to show it) or if there is something i could try at home. I've already done SMC reset but that didn't seem to help.
    Any similar experience or ideas, please?

2. janezblond macrumors member

janezblond

I had the same thing happen to me. At first I thought it was a software issue, especially since it looked exactly like an issue I've seen the new iMacs display when AutoCAD was installed (so a driver issue).

But the problem quickly escalated and the flashing started occurring every few seconds (even at the EFI boot screen). I recorded a video of it with my iPhone just in case and then took it to Apple. Turns out it was a faulty screen or a fault display connector, but since they are both the same component in the rMBP, I had the entire screen replaced. Issue hasn't come back since.

I should mention that at the Apple store they tried cleaning the connector which seemed to fix the issue somewhat, but even while still at the store, the flashing would still happen once or twice.

3. MassMacMan macrumors regular

My rMBP is with Apple right now for the same issue. It would flicker several times a minute during the first few minutes of use. The guy at the Apple store saw it do that and immediately requested a screen replacement. Hope I get a Samsung screen, not another LG.

4. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Shouldn't matter what screen you get.

Just make sure to ask them run the image test when you pick it up. ;)

5. MassMacMan macrumors regular

Just got my rMBP back from the Apple store. They promised 3-5 days and took 4 days. They replaced the screen (and touched nothing else, thank God) with a Samsung screen. The image retention test on http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html shows no IR at all, unlike the original LG screen. And, the image flickering is, of course, gone completely. :) :)

6. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

Good to know, thank you. I will take it there as soon as I manage to find the time and slot when they are free. :))
    I have Samsung screen also and before that I had 3x LG and all had the retention problem so if they replace it then I will have to make sure its with LG otherwise its a no go :)))
    But, I've heard that now its all Samsung (little gossip from Apple) but maybe its not true. Who knows :)
    Thank you guys I'll have it checked. :)