Retina Display going to more Macs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trey M, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

So, inevitably, the Retina display will eventually make it's way to most if not all of the Mac line. That'll all happen at some point in the future, but I'm wondering when...

When you look at the facts, it seems like this transition to Retina displays may happen sooner rather than later. Mainly focusing on the desktop Macs (iMac and Mac Pro), it seems inevitable to happen maybe even before years end or early 2013. Tim Cook himself sent in an email that Apple will be releasing an updated Mac Pro, presumably with all the latest tech (Thunderbolt, USB 3, etc.). With the Retina MBP available, doesn't it just make sense that Apple would want to extend that technology to their more capable machines as quickly as possible? Look at it this way- I go into the Apple Store today and buy a $2000 27 inch iMac. Well, from step 1 it already feels like an inferior product because the display isn't up to par with the Retina Macbook's. Same goes for the Thunderbolt display- presumably, when Apple releases a Mac Pro with Thunderbolt, many buyers will want to get Apple's display to go along with it. Doesn't it seem like they wouldn't sell nearly as well without a killer, hi-res display?

This is all speculation of course, but given that the iMac wasn't updated, that the Mac Pro was given the most minor of updates, the Thunderbolt display doesn't come with a Magsafe 2 adapter stock (not a big deal, but very un-Apple esque), does it seem logical that the Mac Pro, iMac, and Thunderbolt display will be updated in 7 months at the most? I, for one, really want a Thunderbolt display- I've saved up to where I could go buy one today- but I don't find a compelling reason because all the oooh-ahhh effect that it had went away went Apple released a badass screen on the Retina MBP.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

:rolleyes: Speculate all you want. Anyone's guess is as good as anyone else's.

3. Trey M thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I know, I'm used to speculation, but it just seems like it'll happen

4. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

When available GPU power doubles what it is now or even quadruples;)
    Or when Apple decides to buy LG since they would be decimating their stock.

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Main issue I can see is that many video cards today simply are not capable of driving any resolutions higher than 4K. Sort of like how some time ago, many video cards couldn't go above 2048x1536. That may change, but that means we probably have to wait at least a year before it's feasible on a desktop.

I think we'll definitely see it move to all the laptops though. Perhaps the MBA and MBP 13" will merge?