Retina display - impact on gaming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rekhyt, Jun 11, 2012.

1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

I'm afraid due to the pixel doubling occurring in the hardware, this may have certain implications for gaming. It is unlikely that we will be running the games on the settings that we are used to (medium-high, high) with the new resolution.

Thoughts? :|

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Only if the game is retina display compatible. Otherwise it will be pixel doubled.

3. Martialis macrumors member

I think I will wait and let some techie website try that out, or another adventurous rich person before trying myself.

Though really, I'm sure Apple ironed out such a major detail like games displaying well on their brand-new laptops before manufacturing them.

4. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

Was really excited to see that diablo 3 supported it, so that will be interesting. But I have to assume that that resolution is going to be hugely taxing on the system, so you probably won't be able to run retina mode with everything cranked up. I guess time will tell. Maybe it's optimized well enough.

5. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Most games support resolutions around 2560 x 1600 ... I think they'll probably just be interpolated or something for full screen (just like your video files and youtube that you play on your monitor)

Honestly, I doubt anyone will notice the difference.

6. Hidendra macrumors member

according to the new pages up now, non-retina on the retina MBP is 1920x1200! (IPS, of course)

7. CodeBreaker macrumors 6502

I highly doubt the Kepler chip can handle that resolution. I don't think it is targeted for gamers. The high end 15" non retina MBP will outperform the retina one.

8. Marrakas macrumors 6502

Marrakas

Well if you can run at lower resoslutions it will have the same performance

9. Anician macrumors member

Would this Retina display translate into Windows Boot Camp?

10. brentsg macrumors 68040

Yeah I'm concerned about the new display's impact on windows virtual machines.