Retina display is too nice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mz100, Oct 12, 2010.

1. mz100 macrumors regular

I am a college student and lived in Chicago, and got great Sprint 3G/4G coverage.

However I go to school in Southern Indiana, and get absolute crap signal.
    My EVO Absolutely would not connect to the Universitys wifi consistently.
    Everytime the phone went into standby, the Wifi would disconnect, even though I would set it to not sleep.
    Anyway I sold it, used a flip phone, and bout the 4G iPod touch, and it was fricken amazing.

Long story short, I am switching to Tmobile, because Its much cheaper than At&T, and going to get an unlocked iPhone.
    I could not find a iPhone 4 under $500, which is expected, it is high in demand now, so I settled for a 3GS,
    And Now, the display just looks so bad.

Granted I have always liked the iPhone and the display, and after using the 3GS for a couple days, its getting easier and easier to use, but that retina display is simply amazing.

I have used Super amoled, and super LCD, and the Retina simply blows them out of the water.
    Anyone else downgrade to the 3GS and sort of regret it?

On a side note, the 3GS is FASSSTTT!
    I had one for about a month and had to return it, used the iPod touch 4G for about a month, and then went to the 3GS, in all honesty I cannot tell a speed difference.
    Even though the 3GS and iPod 4G both only have 256mb ram, compared to 512 in the iPhone 4.
    the iP4G has the A4.

2. jacollins macrumors 6502a

If you are in college, I think a smartphone should be the least of your worries.

3. Shorties macrumors 6502a

I agree with you that the retina display is a little too amazing. I still find myself every so often saying "wow" at the quality of text on it, even months after owning it. I just love it.

Actually being a college student currently I find that my iPhone has improved my college life greatly. Being able to look up quick things on my phone in class after the professor mentions something, maybe bring up an point that you may have thought about but weren't going to mention because you weren't sure about your facts. Being able to jot down things quickly in the notes app. Always having your email with you when your professor emails you that class has been moved. (Happened to me on multiple occasions). The legitimate uses in classes are endless. (Just as long as you don't get distracted by games). Then the non scholarly uses for having a smart phone are important too. Checking facebook to find parties while your already out on the town. Settling drunken arguments with a one second wikipedia search (I tend to get argumentative when drunk, so having an iPhone keeps me from getting too worked up). Always having your music with you if your at a party or a friends house and someone requests a certain song, that the house iPod doesn't have on it.

Ever since I got my iPhone my Laptop has slowly evolved into essentially a desktop, I never take it to class anymore. (I can type notes with a bluetooth keyboard into my phone, which weighs way less). So I would say in this day in age, a smart phone is about as important as a computer for college.

4. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Ummmm, a smartphone is ideal for a student. Interact with your social network. Keep your school emails on your phone. Use an app like docs to go to hold some papers you may always be working on for a quick tweak. Great dictionary apps, great reference apps, has an alarm clock to get you to class on time, you can jot quick notes if need be, have a camera to snap a shot of a lesson plan or a slide a teacher is presenting, voice memos to record the class....yeah, they're not for college kids...:rolleyes:

5. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Do you have the same money problems that the op seems to have? :) Maybe I'm just judging from his bouncing around between different things and wanting to go t-mobile because it's cheaper. Then again, maybe college guys are richer now than they were in my day...

6. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

+1

I find my iPhone very useful for school. However it can become a distraction when your surfing MR's during a lecture :).

7. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

haha, I'm not college aged anymore and not in school, but the new MR mobile site would for sure have kept me distracted in class....haha

8. Shorties macrumors 6502a

I definitely don't have a large expendable income, but I also am on a family plan (My Phone Bill is just $10+$30 for data) I would struggle to afford it if I were on a plan by myself for sure though.

9. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

If you're an old man, spending your time on internet forums populated by mostly teenagers should be the least of your worries.

10. mz100 thread starter macrumors regular

70% of the people at my campus have smartphones, and without a cell phone, I cannot contact anyone..

also the iPhone is very useful, so is every other smartphone. A lot of our homework, and updates for projects/exams/hw is given to us through email, so having my university mail directly forwarded to my phone is great.

And Also, I wouldn't call it money problems haha, AT&T is $40.00 for just 450 minutes, $20.00 for unlimited texting, and $15 for data.
    Thats $75..

T-Mobile has 450 minutes and Unlimited text for $40.00 you can't beat that, especially when T-Mobile gets good coverage down here, and I have a fast Wi-Fi connection in my Dorm, all my classes, anywhere on campus, and if you are at a house, you are bound to pick up some unsecure Wireless network its college town.

$40>$75 (And A 2 year contract)
    T-Mobile doesn't require one.

11. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I don't think Retina display blows Super AMOLED out of water. Super AMOLED looks much better in movies. However, Retina display wins in reading and browsing. I watch lots of movies on iPhone 4. I would love to see S-AMOLED on iphone.

12. DeBaryFL macrumors member

True, there are a lot of immature, obnoxious teenage brats using the internet, as well as a lot of smart, well-mannered teenagers, but there are a lot of us "old men" out there also. ;) BTW, what forums are you referring to, gaming forums maybe? I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt that this forum is "populated by mostly teenagers."

13. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

As one of the "old men", (gawd, what a CROCK that label is in real life!), I agree wholeheartedly!
    And there are a few grumpy old men on the internet as well. I do not find that to be the case as much here, that much is certain!:p

14. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Kind of sad really. When I was in college, the T-Mobile Sidekick was cutting edge. The one with the B/W screen :eek:

Had I an iPhone in college, I'd still probably be in college :D 15 years later.

15. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

+1

16. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.2.0.26.MB200.T-Mobile.en.US Flex/P021) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Holy crap there's a lot of misinformation in this thread.

@all saying retina display > S-AMOLED and S-LCD
    the retrina display is not a technology. It is a catchphrase made up by apple to advertise their 300+ dpi screen. AMOLED/SLCD is the technology in the screen. You are comparing the res of a screen to the tech of another screen.
    You should be saying the res of the iphones screen is superior to whatever other phone you're talking about, or that the iphones screen tech (IPS) is superior to S-AMOLED or SLCD.

17. Orion126 macrumors regular

I had one of those old Nokia phones in college...that was in 1997 and we only had dialup in our dorms...hell I was still playing Age of Empires!

Man I'm old.

18. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Words coming from the uneducated.

I'm in college and my iPhone 4 has helped me a crap load.

19. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

This pretty much sums up what I was thinking as well. For a college student, a phone such as the iPhone is beneficial in my opinion.

20. jacollins macrumors 6502a

I resemble that remark. Except it wasn't even a sidekick... :(

21. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Bah! Get off my lawn!

Actually, the surveys I have seen indicate that the iPhone users are fairly widespread, with a median in the 30's. So not really mostly teenagers.

22. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

sheeeeeeeeeeet (in My Clay Davis Voice) when I was in College we had pagers the first three years! 95-98 then 2 way pagers with full keyboards...THEN Sprint PCS debuted...

23. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Dialup? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGHHHHHHHHHH. Sadly I remember those days as well. Telneting into my school's email service :(

OK, you win. Not for the pagers, nor the 2 way pagers w/keyboard but simply because of the fact that Sprint PCS debuted back in your day :D

24. uriel360 macrumors newbie

big reason I got the new iPhone. I couldnt see me going back to regular display after this.. :cool:

25. milamber macrumors regular

Wow I forgot how expensive it was to own a cellphone in the US was. In the UK I can get unlimited everything (text, voice, data) for £30 (with no fair use policy). This is on pay as you go too so not tied down to a lengthy contract!