retina display isn't crisp on some of the apps

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexus, Jun 20, 2013.

1. alexus macrumors member

I got new MacBook Pro (retina) laptop yesterday in replacement of my older model MacBook Pro 15" (high-res), Apple even transferred all my data from old computer to a new one..

now my question is, some of application for example "Entorage" my folders/emails fonts there isn't as crispy as let's say Chrome browser, it's almost like this application running in much lower resolution then the rest..

am I missing something? Is there a way to address it?

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Some of the apps need to be redesigned by the developer to support the new retina display and make it look amazing! If they dont have a retina version, there there is really not much you can do (as far as I know)

3. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Nope, you're not missing anything. That's the downside to Retina, apps that aren't Retina-aware or updated to support it will look pretty crappy because they're having to be scaled up, much like what happens when you enlarge a small image.

Office 2011 has been updated for Retina, but I wouldn't expect similar updates to happen for older versions that are no longer supported.

4. alexus, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

alexus thread starter macrumors member

so, is there a solution for this? I can switch fonts that Entourage is using to "retina-aware" fonts, I'm not sure which one is it...

I can't use newer version of office, as it doesn't work w/ our exchange version(

5. bcaslis macrumors 68020

No, the app has to be updated to support the Retina display. You can't fix it without moving to a newer version of the app.

6. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Entourage is part of Office 2008 and earlier versions. Microsoft has not "retinized" any other version than Office 2011 (and I'm a little surprised they did that but that's another story).

Even Adobe has not updated Acrobat for the retina display. Hopefully as retina displays become more prevalent apps will get updated and then look a whole lot better.