Retina Display Photo Quality Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by buckturgidson, Jan 12, 2013.

1. buckturgidson macrumors newbie

Jan 12, 2013
    I'm a photographer, working since 2009 on a 13" MBP. I've been considering going to a retina display, so I was very interested when my friend, a video editor, recently bought a brand new 15" MBP hot rod with retina display. I cruised the net on my friend's new machine and was surprised at the extremely high contrast on the display. I looked at photos on the Flikr and Panoramio sites. Everything looked awful. Highlights were completely blown out and deep shadows obliterated details on the lower end. Then, I loaded some of my own carefully processed pictures on to my friend's new machine and did a side by side comparison of identical photos in identical color spaces. The extreme high contrast of my friend's display wiped out high and low end detail. Apple Care support suggested I use the Apple monitor calibration. Used it. The super high contrast issue persisted. My friend's display is totally unsuitable for photo editing and I would guess video editing as well. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any solutions found?
  2. whiteonline macrumors 6502

Aug 19, 2011
    California, USA
    Was the display calibrated? Pointless to make such a statement like "useless" if not.
  3. buckturgidson, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013

buckturgidson thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 12, 2013
    Thanks for your reply, but as indicated in my original post I calibrated the new display using the built in utility, following the suggestion of Apple Care personnel.