Retina Display Photo Quality Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by buckturgidson, Jan 12, 2013.

1. buckturgidson macrumors newbie

I'm a photographer, working since 2009 on a 13" MBP. I've been considering going to a retina display, so I was very interested when my friend, a video editor, recently bought a brand new 15" MBP hot rod with retina display. I cruised the net on my friend's new machine and was surprised at the extremely high contrast on the display. I looked at photos on the Flikr and Panoramio sites. Everything looked awful. Highlights were completely blown out and deep shadows obliterated details on the lower end. Then, I loaded some of my own carefully processed pictures on to my friend's new machine and did a side by side comparison of identical photos in identical color spaces. The extreme high contrast of my friend's display wiped out high and low end detail. Apple Care support suggested I use the Apple monitor calibration. Used it. The super high contrast issue persisted. My friend's display is totally unsuitable for photo editing and I would guess video editing as well. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any solutions found?

2. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

Was the display calibrated? Pointless to make such a statement like "useless" if not.

3. buckturgidson, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013

buckturgidson thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply, but as indicated in my original post I calibrated the new display using the built in utility, following the suggestion of Apple Care personnel.