Retina Display - quick look images are small?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jws7, Jun 27, 2012.

1. jws7 macrumors member

Hi,

Got my new RMBP last night - very impressed. However, I notice that while browsing existing images using Quick Look they appear quite small. (See attached).

Is there a way to get Quick look to display the image larger? (I'm aware that this would result in a pixilated image).

http://i.imgur.com/PSrSi.jpg

2. OSMac macrumors 65816

Try right clicking the program ,
    select get info then checking the open in low resolution, that may work.

But really not sure why you would want to?

Nice thing about the retina display is it can display images at 1:1 pixel ratio, like preview does.

Attached Files:

3. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

Where is the .app for Quicklook? I don't think it exists, so this is not a solution.

4. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

This bothers me as well. But it is actually the retina display working as it should, see the images are being displayed 1:1 and since the display is so dense, and the images not that big, the result is small images on screen.

You must adjust the quicklook window, but its not the most convenient thing to keep doing.

So, I guess we are out of luck.

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Really, the only thing you can do is get higher res images.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Well if you look at a 1024x480 picture on a 1440x990 display it will look "bigger" than it does on say a 1920x1280 display. There's not a lot you can do about that.

7. FrancescoZZ macrumors newbie

Having same issue

What you say is, of course, true, however the problem is that OS X displays the image as if the display were 3840x2400. The display instead is 1920x1200 with double pixel density. Because of this, you will have 1920x1200 images looking as if they were 960x600 on a 1920x1200 display. Which doesn't make any sense and doesn't give you the 1:1 ratio you'd want.

See this image to understand what I mean.

http://i.imgur.com/A2vjP.jpg

The fish image is 800x287. Although web browsers (such as Chrome in this case) will display the image in a size that makes sense relative to the 1920x1200 resolution (slightly under half the screen width), when the image is viewed via Preview or Quick Look, it will appear half the size.

Apple should be notified about this.

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

It's intentional. Part of the point of having a retina display is being able to see high res images. So applications that are retina aware will generally display images 1:1 while displaying UI elements in "pixel doubling" mode

Browsers generally don't do that because web pages aren't built for retina devices