Retina Display Replacement Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zackkmac, Oct 14, 2018.

1. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I have a 2015 13” MBP that has light display coating issues as covered by Apple’s replacement program. I upgraded the logic board earlier from the stock 2.7 i5/8GB RAM to 3.1 i7/16GB because the price was too good to pass up (sold my i5 board and made profit after buying the new board). The display is also a replacement because I bought the laptop dirt cheap with a broken LCD. I think there was one mostly-stripped screw I had to discard.

My question is will these two factors keep Apple from replacing the display under the program? If so, it’s not a huge deal as I can understand why they would decline, and mine is really only happening in spots around the edges. But it would be nice if so and I might as well have it done while they offer it.

My bet is they would offer to replace it for a regular repair price, not free, but if anyone has some input it would be appreciated.

2. kohlson macrumors 68000

My experience with Apple repairs is variable. I always get satisfaction - sometimes on the first visit, sometimes on a subsequent visit. That said, they've always been nice and professional. Take it in and see what happens.

3. Willo34 macrumors regular

Willo34

Kohlson has an interesting experience with Apple in this regard.
    Zackkmac, you have no chance Apple replacing it under the program, they decline to work on machines that have been opened and fixed by external people/companies.....

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Considering all the tinkering that has already been done with it, my -guess- is that Apple will decline to do the replacement...

5. macpanzer macrumors regular

Is there a display replacement program for the coating issue? Covering also 2015 models?
    I had a look at apple.com (https://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/), but couldn't find anything.

The display on mine is still good, but there's an area which looks like a fine spray of liquid would be on the screen when looked at an angle. And across the screen there's a "line" where that spray-like look is getting more dense. I assume that could be the anti-reflective coating wearing off?

6. kohlson macrumors 68000

Not true, at least in the case of one of our MBAs. A local repair shop had attempted several repairs to fix the same issue (no sound, no mic). On a whim I took it into Apple and they diagnosed an I/O board replacement, and a relatively modest price to repair (much less than I had paid the local independent). When the repair was complete, they called and the tech asked me if I could share who had done the previous work, as it was a "mess" inside.
    They may or may not do warranty work on your system. Can't hurt to ask.

7. _Kiki_ macrumors 6502a

Do you have genuine screen or "cheap replacement" ? If genuine I don't see reason to refuse by Apple

yes, the covering 2015 models

8. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mine is a genuine replacement, came off of a dead MBP. But I know that tampering will be evident given the upgraded logic board and missing display hinge screw. Wasn't sure if they had a strict no-tampering policy (which would be fair) but it seems the consensus here is every store is different and I might as well take it in.

Sometime soon I think I will just take it in, be upfront and let them know of the part changes, and give it a shot. :) Just wanted to see what others thought. Thanks for the responses everyone.

9. _Kiki_ macrumors 6502a

do not tell them about upgrades, they aren't "geniuses" at all