Retina display too fragile?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maflynn, Jun 19, 2012.

1. maflynn, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given the LCD tear down as reported here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1390269

I'm having some second thoughts on my retina MBP order.

To summarize, ifixit decided to tear down the display panel only to find that there is not much too them. There's no glass in front of the lcd panel, what we see is the directly the LCD panel and its glass is only 1.5mm thick

My concern is through day to day usage the laptop won't hold up to the being put in a laptop backpack or my waterfield racer-x bag.

Am I being overly sensitive, anyone else have concerns about the fragility of the lcd display assembly?

I'm rethinking my order and maybe going to the standard MBP.

Edit:
    I'd like to add that while its not intended for my 6 year old daughters, they will use it on rare occasions. I let them use my current 13" MBP and I instruct them not to lift the laptop off the desk. Sometimes they can't help themselves it seems, so this is the other factor. I don't expect them to abuse it, but I am concerned about the lack of strength since the case is the lcd frame.

2. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

You are being overly sensitive. If the back case of the screen was made from plastic like the old MacBooks, I would be concerned. However it's made of aluminum so it should be fine.

Just don't throw your computers around while they're in your backpack.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You are being oversensitive. I doubt you'd throw your notebook around and I think with proper care it'll be fine. It is a portable machine, I'm sure that was considered when they were designing it ... or I'd hope.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I just got the impression that the panel was meant to never be removed from the case lid once it's installed. Not that it was fragile.

5. zerotiu macrumors regular

since you've mentioned it....I opened ifixit site again :D. yeah, very thin...

I think it's okay. I never put any heavy things on my MBP. I always put my mbp into my small bag when I go travel (never put it inside bag in plane cabin).

6. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I was never accused of being too sensitive :eek:

But in this case I can see myself jumping to conclusions with the lack of real world data. tbh, I still am concerned due to the lack of extra glass sitting in front of the panel.

7. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

There's not glass, but the LCD is not like right there.. I feel theres a piece of plastic or something over it.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you are truly concerned then save yourself the headache and do not buy it. I again reiterate the one point that you seem to miss here; it is a portable machine built with portability in mind. Does that make it indestructible? No. But one could assume it will take a slight jar here and there and no break. If this is not the case then you know some tool will start a class-action suit against Apple for making a machine, calling it a laptop, and making it completely impossible to take with you without risk of damage.

9. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

I will be adding this to my homer owner's policy for damage. Very reasonable pricing...

10. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

The fact that there is no glass panel is an advantage - much less glare.

Ifixit broke the panel because they tried to take it out of its frame.

General, modern displays are pretty thin and not designed to withstand ifixit wrecking crews ;)

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Think of this: antiglare MBPs don't have glass in front of them, either. If they were highly susceptible to damage due to glass being absent, I think we'd be seeing lots of threads on that.

12. vladzaharia macrumors regular

If something has enough force to crack the LCD's glass, then it probably has enough power to also go through the extra glass on the non-Retina MBPs. Not having that extra pane of glass will only help you in rare circumstances.

13. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Classic MBP never had an additional glass pane, nor does the Air, and we dont see myriad posts regarding screen failures due to physical damage. In short i see nothing to be concerned about.

The rMBP is likely to sit in the mid ground between the Air and the Unibody for durability.

14. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

Impressive.

I'm not the slightest bit concerned about the LCD. If they learned a thing or two about durable LCDs from iPhone and iPads, we shouldn't have any issues.

15. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I did not know this. I thought all MBP and MBAs had glass in front of them.

Hence this thread ;) I am pondering whether the retina MBP is a good fit, even if its for peace of mind. I'm very careful with my laptops, but in the general handling I don't want something happing, that is closing the lid, holding the laptop vertically in one hand as I slide it into my racer-x bag.

All in all, the comments by GGJ and Queen (and others) have greatly put this in perspective and given me some peace about the purchase :)

After all, I do have 14 days if I feel that its not something I want to live with.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Tell you what. I'll only make this offer once. If you find you don't like it, I'll allow you to give your RMBP to me. No charge! (I wouldn't make this offer to just anyone!) :D

17. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

All have a layer of glass, the unibody introduced in 08 brought a separate pane of glass flush to the lid adding a layer and part of the selling point was additional strength. Your new rMBP will be fantastic :cool: I am waiting on my local retailer to get stock, I will then have 2008 Classic, 2011 Unibody and a 2012 Retina, pity I never kept the PowerBook :p

18. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

What is the avg cost to do something like this?

19. minnus macrumors 6502

The Air does NOT have protective glass and as a result, people (including myself) have had screen issues. When taken to the Apple store, the Genius demonstrated that the screens were very susceptible to flexing, and as a result, it takes very little to 'flex' the screen into the keyboard - causing damage. I have since used a 'cloth' in between, and it has been fine.

I imagine the retina display will suffer the same flexing issue, but I intend on using a cloth on it as well.

20. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

How to put it another way, there is no protective layer as per the 08 Unibody, however the display is it`s self has a very thin layer of glass and this can be susceptible to damage. The rMBP from posts has a gasket/cushion built into the lid (posts on this forum) which I suspect is to mitigate physical damage to the display, from the body/keyboard, under impact.

The OP`s concern was the omission of the secondary pane of glass, specifically to prevent damage to the display`s glass pane. As with all Apple will have worked on the design, increasing strength and rigidity for the larger panel.

21. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have an old G4 cube, and a Macintosh color classic but generally speaking I sell my older machines to fund the newer ones. I've owned powerbooks and MacBook Pros, great machines but because of the price, it made too much sense to sell them when I was ready for the new model

22. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Unless your trying rip to out the screen then I wouldn't even stress it.

23. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

My Early 08 Classic will pass to my daughter, in general I always try to maintain a primary & secondary system. I could sell out, although I tend to feel by the time I look to replace a Mac I have more than had the value out of the machine. I have a 2011 Air and that will likely go as well, as long as the rMBP proves to be as portable as I hope

24. stvlush macrumors newbie

Warning. The Retina display is an ultra fragile piece of garbage and if it breaks you may have to pay about $800 to have it replaced by Apple. I bought a 15" rMBP. I had it in a special Apple branded Kensington bag. On my way into the building I work in the door hit me the bag with my computer in it. When I got to my office and opened the computer 1/3 of the screen was blank and the inside surface of the glass appeared cracked, though not the surface. There was a small nick on the case, likely caused by the power cord scratching it as it was between the computer and the inside wall of the case. I had been using it for 5 days and was under 14 days. Apple told me damage is not covered and it would cost me about $800 to replace. We're talking about a few ft/lbs of force, max, to a computer in a padded bag and it destroyed the screen and I'm screwed. I carried my 2007 MacBook in that bag to places like rock concerts, it was dropped twice, took several hard knocks (all while out of the case) sustained no damage and it's still ticking. If Apple wants to sell displays that will crack at the slightest bump, they should put a big label on it saying it is extremely fragile. IT'S A LAPTOP, it WILL take as least some vibration. If it can't survive that, it does not meet the universal commercial codes definition of implied warranty of merchantability and customers should get a refund or a replacement but they will not. It's an outrage and I am seriously considering becoming a plaintiff in a class action law suit against Apple. I have never been in a lawsuit before so I'm not litigious or and opportunist. If I broke it through negligence, I would pay to have it fixed. I have been a loyal Apple customer since 1987 but that changed today. Plus, they failed utterly with customer service. I could not get a single employee to meet my gaze when I went in for my 12:45 appointment and not one of them asked if they could help me. I walk with a cane and by the time I got to the back of the store and found someone who would talk to me (after I stood and stared at him), he directed me to the one rep who handled appointments. The email regarding my appointment said any employee could assist me. They did not say that I would be ignored by the 10-20 I passed in the store and attempted to make eye contact with. A designated greeter is a concept Apple should consider. In retail, the most unforgivable sin is acting like a customer is invisible and not acknowledging their presence. When I finally was directed to the rep who handled appointments he asked my name and appointment time. I gave my name and said my appoint time was 12:45. He said "yeah, that appointment had been cancelled." I said "why" and he said "because it's 12:57" and I would describe his tone as snotty or condescending. I may have walked in 3 o4 4 minutes late as the result of an ambulance a few blocks away blocking traffic but I find this policy and response infuriating. The President of the United States might have to schedule his day that tight, but a retail store? That's just hubris. I finally got him to say that he would try to find someone to help me. My total wait time was about 20 minutes. At 1:01 I received another email confirming my appointment at 2:35PM. I was finally received by the geniuses at the bar. I was told it would cost me about $800. The genius and I discussed it for a while until it became clear we had reached an impasse. At that point he got a manager involved who reduced the cost to $300 for the display part and the bottom case replaced, gratis. Not good enough. Apple should have replaced the computer. I almost wish they hadn't reduced the price. They made an enemy of me by not going the remaining $300. Guess I know what I'm worth to them. The retina is an extremely fragile piece of garbage as far as I'm concerned and I would advise anybody who has one to wrap it in a pillow if you take it out of the house. I'm done with Apple. I heard their customer service was excellent but my experience was one of the worst retail experiences in all my 60 years. Don't be surprised if you see my story in other places. I will tell anyone who will listen. They turned a devotee into and enemy. May they be beaten and rot in an overseas sweat shop. I am profoundly sad and furious at the same time. I can't believe they could turn my opinion of them to dust in mere moments. I'm also not pleased with the elimination of the cable lock slot, but that's a rant for another post.

25. eron macrumors 6502