Retina Display vs Matte Finish

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by afawcett, Jun 16, 2012.

?

What should I do?

1. Get the MacBook Pro with Retina Display

63 vote(s)
    67.0%
  2. Get the MacBook Pro with a matte finish

23 vote(s)
    24.5%
  3. Hope Apple releases a thin MacBook Pro with a matte finish

8 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. afawcett, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

afawcett macrumors regular

If I sound indecisive, it's because I am. I currently own a 2007 MacBook Pro with a matte finish and it's time to upgrade.

I love the MBPR, but as a student the most important part is the combination between portability and power. A matte finish is also very important because I use my laptop in many non-ideal environments. I've seen the Retina in person, but it comes no where near my matte finish in terms of glare reflections. I really got my hope up when Apple claimed "75% glare reduction."

I can't decided whether to get the thin MacBook Pro with Retina Display or the larger and heavier MacBook Pro with a matte finish. I would love to here you thoughts, opinions, and/ or advice. For those who don't feel like writing a post, I made a poll.

2. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I had someone respond to me on twitter with the following:

"@therealdvorak @joped @retrevo Physics of glossy screens also prevents diffusion of outgoing LCD light. Doesn't look sharper-it is sharper."

"@therealdvorak @joped @retrevo Summarized: non-glossy "retina display" is impossible. Put "matte" screen cover - you reduced effective PPI#"

If the above is true, we won't see a matte finish Retina display. Which explains why Apple was quick to point out that the screen is 75% less glare.

Once I get the new RMBP, I am going to do some side by side glare shots of the RMBP and a previous gen matte finish.

3. portishead macrumors 65816

I've personally never understood the fuss over glossy displays. I just got a retina MBP, and I had a couple iMacs before that.

I've never had a problem with glare. I don't notice it, and/or it doesn't bother me. I also have a couple iPads and it doesn't bother me either. I'd rather have the glass over the screen that I can clean.

I work in an environment where I need calibrated displays and no glare - but I am able to come home and deal with glossy displays with no problem.

It's probably psychological as much as anything. If you obsess about something, it's going to bother you. Not trying to imply you should settle for something inferior, this is all just my opinion.

4. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Do you really really need a retina display? I had to ask myself that same question and I decided the answer is: no.

I went to the Apple Store last night, and after playing with the 15" MacBook Pro with Glossy and Non-Glossy, and The Retina MacBook Pro, I decided to get the 15" MacBook Pro with a Non-Glossy display. The retina display is amazing, but I don't need it and I prefer the non-glossy option so I can use my MBP when I'm sitting in less-than-ideal lighting conditions.

5. afawcett thread starter macrumors regular

I don't need a retina display. It's great on my iPhone, but I am happy with a 1440x900 resolution on a 15" display. It's the thinner form factor I want.

I have to agree with you. Reflections draw my attention and it bothers me.

I will probably get the thin MacBook Pro. If by some miracle Apple releases a thin MacBook Pro with a matte finish I'll try to sell it and get the new one.

6. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

The need argument is always extremely silly. How many people _need_ a portable computer, or _need_ 8gb+ or RAM or _need_ more then a 100gb of hd space.

It's 99% want.

However, you do have a valid argument about the glare. I really hope its 75% less then existing glossy screens.

It's half psychological and half not being able to see the screen. In bad lighting conditions (outside in a park for example) you won't be able to see the screen.

Most of the game glossy screens end up with something over laying it, basically whatever is behind you. It can be very distracting.

7. portishead macrumors 65816

I agree if you use it outside, matte is the way to go (if that option even exists). I've almost never used a laptop outside, so it's never been an issue. Maybe some kind of matte iPhone/iPad option would be cool since those are the only devices I personally use outside.

8. ZipZap macrumors 601

Have you even held a retina MBP???

Is much lighter than the MBP

and not much more than the MBA 13.

9. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

Agree, but the 15.6" footprint is huge for extensive mobile use.

10. getthesand0ut macrumors newbie

i know this is not a mac vs mac comparison, but its between my matt screen work laptop vs my new mbpr. note that the dell is 1080.
    [​IMG]

11. Murgatroyd314 macrumors regular

You're lucky. For me, glossy screens range from annoying to physically painful to use.

12. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

no reason to spend 3k on a screen, especially since its probably non upgradable.

But as a stock holder i relish in the idea of you spending that kind of money. That's why I love this company so much. These people will pay any kind of margins hehe

13. portishead macrumors 65816

nobody cares!

14. LucidLethargy macrumors newbie

EXACT same situation

I am in the exact same situation. I currently own a 2007 Macbook Pro and I've been waiting that long for the new body / retina display option. When I saw it was only available in glossy I just about lost it. I am now seriously considering a PC, however it's not a good time to buy a PC with windows 8 coming out soon (and that will be a GREAT computer to have in tablet/touch screen form, which is limited currently as far as the market is concerned.) To me this means it's a really great time to buy a Mac, basically.

I do think the Razer Blade is pretty sweet, and an EXCELLENT contender for the Macbook Pro, but it's at least $750 over-priced.

In general I own a lot of apple products, I've bought nothing but apple since the original iPhone came out (bought that sucker the first week.) This now includes an extremely expensive 12 core Mac Pro, an iPad and an iPhone 4. After all that investment, I really am that upset about the glossy screens - so upset I am still weighing the Windows option.

The points above aren't too bad, though, and have me rethinking things... Do we really need a retina display? I am a very visual person (I work in media for a living, so I have to be) but at the same time, the new Macbook Pro 2012 seemingly does have a slightly better screen than the 2007 model, so I'm starting to wonder if it will suffice. Apple hardware is just excellent in terms of performance, so I'm finding it hard to leave the pack (especially after I've squeezed 5 years out of this Macbook Pro, which even today runs my professional applications fairly well.) But in the end, it just feels bad passing up the retina display.

I don't believe ANYONE on twitter (the entire network is designed around the idea that less is more, and I really don't believe in that - especially for fact checking and rumors) so I don't buy into the idea that the matte screen will never happen, but perhaps someone here has a better idea on how likely this is for future updates. I would love to know if it's worth waiting it out another 6-12 months for the superior matte finish. I work near windows a lot, and in general I don't like acting like a vampire avoiding well lit rooms, so matte for me is the only intelligent option.

15. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

For you, yes.

16. ConcernedCitizenandFather macrumors newbie

ConcernedCitizenandFather

--- Post Merged, May 26, 2016 ---
    My opinion is that unless you have something truly useful to ad to the discussion of this most unfortunate problem, you might keep your opinion to yourself.
    --- Post Merged, May 26, 2016 ---
    Not for much longer!

17. ZeneticX macrumors member

The glossy screen on the MBP is probably one of the best glossy screens around because of the anti glare coating. There's still reflection but nothing really distracting if you bump up the screen brightness. If its a windows laptop I would go for a matte screen without questions.

18. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

This you might should have thought too yourself before bringing a more or less 4 year old thread back from the dead without bringing anything new to it

19. ConcernedCitizenandFather macrumors newbie

ConcernedCitizenandFather

Here we go... You must be bored.... i am in the process of contacting Apple through an Attorney.

20. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

I will personally buy an antiglare screen protector when I eventually upgrade to retina. You can get ones with varying levels of antiglare to avoid the reduced clarity that happens when you put a film on glass. I can't stand glossy displays and don't really see the big deal with retina anyway so this will be my solution. I've used antiglare screen protectors on my 2009 MBP (very glossy screen!) and current MBA. I find it much easier to get used to the slight loss in image quality than to get used to glaring lights in my eyes.

Not sure if that will work for you but it's one possible solution. I've always used photodon and never had an issue.

21. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

You will have to get used with Retina display.