Retina Display- Will it ruin non-retina games and apps?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pkessler, Jun 11, 2012.

1. pkessler macrumors newbie

There are still apps that were never updated to retina on the iPhone, and they look very pixelated. Will that happen on the MB Pro retina display? I want to buy one tonight, but I'm worried about this.

Like, if I played a game like Amnesia or Sims 3 or Portal on the new MB Pro, would it look pixelated?

If so, I don't really want the new retina MB Pro, because I'm sure that the majority of released games will not be updated, and I don't want everything to look worse than if it were a regular display.

2. Marrakas macrumors 6502

Marrakas

IPhone screen can't change resolution. Laptops can, so it should be just fine.

3. pietdels macrumors newbie

On the keynote video, it looks like the screen had a 1,680-by-1,050 setup. Do you see more information if you change the resolution to 2,880-1,800 or do you then only see more pixels for the same information??

4. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Hence the images being sharper, clearer and all that crap. :cool:

5. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Another benefit of having more pixels... means less need to anti-aliasing. Performance difference should be close to a wash.

6. cathyy macrumors 6502a

You do know that higher resolutions cause a much harder hit to FPS than AA right?

7. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

They can, but I see it as more of a wash. It also depends on what level of AA you are used to running it at. If you have been running at 2x or 4x then you will see a bit of a hit, anything higher and it will be a wash.

8. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Retina has 4x more pixels and requires 4x more horsepower to run.

9. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Some people need to learn how to think.... For one Apple, needs to release better drivers for the cards. Two, you don't need 4x more horsepower, otherwise the RMBP could not power the display. Third, you need to look at how Apple is taking advantage of those pixels.

FINALLY - I never said you could throw up a game on a 4k TV with max graphics settings and expect 100FPS. Do I really have to spell it out verbatim, ad nauseam every time I make a post?

10. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

That's not how it works.

11. cathyy macrumors 6502a

You're brought up the topic about games, FPS and AA. In such a scenario there's no so called taking advantage of pixels by Apple.

The RMBP does not have sufficient graphics power to run games at that resolution As of now there aren't many benchmarks, but there's a thread saying that D3 only runs at 20 FPS.

Have you ever seen benchmarks of how much of a FPS hit high end graphic cards (eg. GTX 680) take when rendering games at 1920x1080 compared to 2560x1440? There's almost a 40% hit in FPS across all games.

Yup it's not how it works. But it does have 4x more pixels to drive now and will take a massive hit.