Retina Display - Will maps be low res?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by spiffae, Mar 11, 2012.

1. spiffae macrumors newbie

Something I've been thinking about - I've been playing around with Google Maps and their new vector based MapsGL (similar to the vector maps on Android) and realize that those are resolution-independent, i.e. they can be shown crisply at any resolution. The much higher resolution on the new iPad however, will take the tile-based maps from the regular ipad and simply make them smaller. I can't imagine Google is going to redraw map tiles at 300dpi, so how do you think Apple is going to address maps whose text is suddenly 3x smaller? I'd guess pixel doubling on the map tiles or something like that... but I'd love true 300dpi maps and satellite image viewing.

2. maclook macrumors 65816

That's interesting.
    http://www.apple.com/ipad/built-in-apps/
    The Maps sections seems to imply that the graphics and images will be amazing on the Retina Display but their street view was suspiciously high resolution. Street View has never looked very high quality when I use it.

3. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Wasn't Maps updated for iPhone 4's retina display?

4. spiffae thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point - don't have an iphone 4 so i can't confirm that. Someone should compare google maps tiles on a browser, ipad, and iphone 4. They may have higher res tiles.

5. amorya macrumors 6502

Maps on an iPhone 4 is definitely retina. I doubt there's anything to worry about.