Retina display's future

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by walkie, Dec 27, 2012.

1. walkie, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

walkie macrumors 6502

I'm planning on buying a rMBP and I would like to read your opinions on the retina display's fate, I see retina display will have a brilliant future and more support by developers only when prices drop, but since I'm a multiplatform developer I would like to see the other operating systems moving in the same direction, do you think Windows/Linux and PC makers will catch up with something similar to retina display in a near future?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure you can get "retina" style displays on windows PC's already.

3. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Up to the companies like Dell who make the computers. Doesn't Windows already support retina?

4. walkie thread starter macrumors 6502

I think is not the same high definition than retina, because you need software that can scale properly GUI elements and fonts, I have seen how Windows 8 scales and elements look a little fuzzy, It looks like it makes a kind of zooming over the GUI elements unlike MacOSX, it would require developers to rewrite/retouch most software on earth to make modern apps to look right on a ultra HD screen, I can't see this happening quickly on a Windows/Linux platform.

5. bill-p macrumors 65816

Proper DPI scaling has been in Windows for a while (since Vista or so), but the main problem was a lack of screens that would push the resolution up that high... at an affordable price range for the mass market. As a result, developers didn't bother, and save for the very specialized softwares, most will just scale texts well while having their images squished or scaled.

It's only recently that such display technology has come down in price enough to make an impression. Still, I anticipate that it won't be a mainstream thing until 5 years later, where every device made has a high resolution screen.

But from a developer's standpoint (I'm a multi-platform developer myself), I think... developers should have worked with Retina displays long ago. Or as soon as possible. Once the technology hits the mass market, those who can come out first with software solutions that take advantage of the technology will profit the most in the long term. Just look at the iPad. Apple was first to market with the technology, and just 2 years later, they've racked in billions.

If profits aren't your main goal, you'd still secure a place in the market that's really hard to displace. It's truly a classic example of "the early bird catches the worm".

6. walkie thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree, this is what keeps me from selling my early 2010 iMac as I get a new rMBP, by now I need the two, one doesn't know how long we'll be scaling legacy apps until they catch up with retina.

7. Ploki macrumors 68000

163ppi while high resolution doesn't really count as HiDPI i believe?

It was never done with scaling at least.

8. flipnap macrumors 6502

i dont think any exist. pclaptops have been anemic in the display department. my biggest point of contention has always been the appalling lack of attention to panels.

9. walkie thread starter macrumors 6502

This is absolutely true, PC makers do not innovate, then they wonder why their laptops are not selling well these days.