Retina early 2013 15" weird battery issue.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nickandre21, Aug 13, 2013.

1. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Well I am facing this strange battery issue on my 40 days old retina.

here's a bit of the battery(while hooked on the charger)
    Charge Information:
    Charge Remaining (mAh): 4547
    Fully Charged: No
    Charging: Yes
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 8527
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 91
    Condition: Normal

2 minutes later charger removed
    Charge Information:
    Charge Remaining (mAh): 4772
    Fully Charged: No
    Charging: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 8348
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 91
    Condition: Normal
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): -1855

So the issue is that, when my laptop is charged upto above 95-100% and i remove the charger it just powers down like there is no battery in it. Below the said percentage it work properly without an issue. Also the battery health keeps fluctuating which i know is normal but while charging it goes upto 100% and when i remove the charge it trickles back between 97-99%.

My usage and lifestyle requires frequent traveling while working on intensive apps etc. And mostly i am not around a power outlet. There are no issues with battery back up time. I do not run the laptop till the battery is fully drained if its near 15% and i am not near a power outlet i shut down

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The battery health fluctuating is completely normal, but the shutting down on a full charge when unplugged is not. For battery, power, or charging issues, you might try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues. Resetting it will not help.)

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. nickandre21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hey, i did do a smc reset the issue still occurred.
    Are there any tests i can do to make sure the battery is performing well?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of battery health and cycles and computer uptime, among many other things. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.

You can also take your MBP to Apple, and let them run some tests to determine if the problem lies with the battery or possibly your logic board.